29. I Live For You

"George, I wasn't thinking properly, I just, it really," I began to stumble over my words, in complete mortification and sorrow.

"Did it mean anything?" He inquired emotionlessly as to not give away his frustration.

He knew I couldn't say it hadn't, it was Paul. Now I'm not saying I didn't love George and would rather be with Paul, but there was so much history with Paul and unresolved feelings.

Why did Paul have to go and say something? Had he truly believed I would've told George what had happened between us?

"George, the kiss was an absolute mistake, alright? I wasn't in the right headspace. I was depressed thinking about how you might've seen Maureen as prettier, and well, certainly less pregnant and I- I thought I had really lost you." I paused, unable to meet his eyes.

"You know I don't think that Pop, you're the absolute only woman I'll ever love. You're absolutely beautiful, and carrying our baby, how could I ever think less of you because of that?" He asked to ease my mind, seeming to always know the exact thing to say.

"I just want to make us work George, you're the man I love, I love you." I forced my eyes to look up into George whose face looked twisted with a mix of sorrowful and conflicted thoughts.

"Poppy, this is Paul we're talking about. It wasn't just a mistake." He said leaning back in an uncomfortable way, cringing at the thought of Paul and I.

"I know, I'm really sorry, look George, we've made some stupid mistakes, and we can't just forgive and forget, but can't we use this to grow up? We're- we're, parents." I spoke seeming to put in perspective how irresponsible and reckless we had both been.

He thought for a minute with a hesitant look in his eyes as he stared into mine. He nodded understanding how important it was for not only is but our child that we stay and work things out.

"I'm going to bed." He said leaning up and placing a peck on my cheek before leaving to go lie down.

I watched him as he went, feeling pained at the apparent bruise his ego sustained knowing I had hurt him like he'd hurt me. I'm sure he thought less of me knowing I was tainted with scandal as he was and could no longer hold onto thinking I was innocent in all this, but he also knew he couldn't be angry at me though I'm sure that was his instant reaction.

I stared at the telephone wanting to give Paul a piece of my mind. Sure, he must've imagined I'd told George already and we had worked things out properly, but I wondered if his intent was to hurt the situation more rather than fix it.

I followed suit with George a couple minutes later but finding myself not able to rest, tossing and turning for a while before I hugged, starring at the ceiling frustratedly.

"George," I said in a hushed voice, looking over to George who's face was peaceful and somber, his eyes rested shut as I had imagined he was already sleeping.

"I'm sorry," I continued in a low when I saw he was unmoving from his position, a single tear rolling down my cheek and onto the pillow as I was facing him on my side , "somewhere along the way we seemed to have gotten lost. George I live for you." I felt a tightness in my chest from out much those words seem to trigger an emotional response.

I reached my hand over and moved a piece of hair away from his forehead, smiling to myself knowing he was the man I truly wanted to spend my life and raise a family with and there was no disputing it.

I slid over and put myself into George's chest, sliding my arms around his torso carefully as to not wake him, falling asleep quite easily after that moment.
                  _______________

I woke up in the morning to the sunlight pouring through our window, without a trace of George in the room.

I was slightly panicked as I remembered last nights events, getting up quite instantly and flying into down the hall unsteadily from tiredness and seeing George look over his shoulder to me as he was cooking breakfast in the kitchen.

His lips turned up into a meek grin making my heart flutter.

"What all this then?" I smirked seeing him wipe his hands off on a cloth and smiling rather proudly.

"Breakfast for three." He let out a small laugh.

"I gathered that much." I smiled, shocked at why he has such an uplifted outlook this morning.

"Well, last night," he trailed off as I took a seat at our counter, he coming closer and leaning on the other side of the counter across from me.

He looked for the rights words and smiled finally.

"I live for you, too," he smiled causing my heart to stop.

He had heard everything.

"-whatever it is we need to do, I'm in. You're the absolute one, Poppy. I've always known tha'." He reached out and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear similarly as I'd done for him.

And then on, there was never a shred of doubt about how much we loved each other again. The storm had calmed.