13. Time To Hide

I blinked a few times, all of the words and sounds seeming to fade together as it felt like my world had begun to end. It was difficult to comprehend what I had just heard, but it seemed to click in my brain what I was missing.

I hadn't guessed Maureen and George's suspiciousness had been related, but not only were questions answered, new ones arose.

Questions that mangled with my head and debilitated me in the moment as I stumbled back out to the crowd of people feeling like I was having an asthma attack.

The walls seemed to be getting closer as I immediately pushed my way to the exit, too shocked to scream or cry or even form a complete thought other than I needed to get away.

Fumbling with my purse, I took out change and found my way to the nearest payphone, struggling to dial the number as my vision was all blurring together.

"Hello?" I heard his voice from the other end of the line.

"Eric, I need to get home." I stumbled over my words shakily.
__________________________

I waited in the telephone booth for the following ten minutes waiting for the car Eric had sent for me before it had finally arrived. I still wasn't able to form any complete thoughts or fully understand what George had done, but I knew I needed to be away from this mess.

I had explained everything to Eric and he had agreed to arrange to get me back home for the time being, although he said I shouldn't leave without anyone knowing. I understood the concern, but how could I face any of them? I would've called Louise and Harold like I had planned if I needed to get away from the tour, but I couldn't tell them the reason why I left.

I was completely humiliated, and scared that everyone might think I was so silly for being so blindly in love with George when clearly he was off behind my back doing things with someone who I had called a friend.

As I went to walk to the car from the telephone booth, Ringo came calling after me worriedly seeing my urgency.

"Where are you going?" He said once he had finally caught up to my side, already having been outside for a smoke.

"Why don't you ask your best bandmate George? Or even better, your wife." I smiled with a sarcastic nod watching as his face twisted with confusion.

"I'm going home." I spoke flatly continuing to walk to the car.

Ringo grabbed my hand from behind me, turning me around to face him as his hand held a firm grip on my wrist.

"Poppy, what's the matter?" He asked searching deep in my eyes for an answer, desperate to know from what I had said.

Without feeling the tears coming on, I felt myself letting warm tears fall down my cheeks uncontrollably, watching as another figure came closer through my tears, realizing quickly it was George. I grit my teeth and wiggled out of Ringo grip.

"How dare you George Harrison." I cried out hearing the overwhelming amount of sadness in my voice and being taken aback for a moment.

His face twisted from concern to hurt and confusion, seeing the pain that overtook my whole being.

"I overheard Cynthia and Mo talking in the ladies room. Seems there's something you failed to mention to both Ringo and I, haven't ye'?" I stared furiously into his eyes, feeling numb in my absolute state of shock.

"Poppy-" His expression fell into fear.

"I'm going home." I repeated again, opening the car door.

"Can't I at least explain? And we're going back to London tomorrow until next week, please, don't go." He pleaded frantically in a desperate tone, stepping closer causing me to flinch as I moved back into the car.