22. Seaside Woman

The reporters were absolutely everywhere outside of the Apple Boutique, and I was nearly sweating out of nervousness that one would watch a glimpse of my baby bump.

"You look great." George whispered in my ear thoughtfully.

I smirked and laid my head on his shoulder as we walked hand in hand to the front doors of the boutique, reporters immediately taking notice and beginning to shout questions at us. The Apple scruffs were everywhere outside being held off my Mal and Neil.

"Penelope, how do you respond to the rumours that your uncles death was not accidental?" I was able to hear over the other insulting questions.

I froze and looked up to George, who looked dead at the reporter who asked.

"Let's go." I whispered tugging on his sleeve to keep moving, biting down my emotions away from the cameras prevalent everywhere around us.

We moved past into the boutique where there was a much less bother from the scummy reporters, only certain ones being allowed in. I had made it a priority to keep distance from John this evening, I swear with these pregnancy hormones I was just about ready to give him a beating.

I was immediately inclined to look for signs of Paul and Linda. I enjoyed playing Cupid for a day or two and I was determined to hit Paul and Linda with the arrows.

"That's her." I grabbed George's arm squealing as if I'd seen, well, him as Linda came into sight.

"Right, take a deep breath, I'm sure she'll give you her autograph." George replied jokingly, amused with my excitement.

"Great." George whispered under his breath looking off at something, quickly ducking his head down and sipping the apple juice he had gotten at the door.

"Wha-" I began, my eye catching exactly what he was talking about.

Eric Clapton. Except for the fact that this time, he had a blonde slug tightly underneath his arm, his attention on a reporter who was interviewing him about the party since he had been invited by George before that night. I hoped they'd talk it out since they had been such good friends before, but I knew I couldn't be present for that conversation to take place.

I grit my teeth, sucking air through them, staring the the train wreck that was bound to crash at some point during the night.

The room was quite overwhelming, and as I was about to continue my game of Cupid, a reporter took me and George aside to get an interview.

I was thankful the reporter didn't start by asking any questions about Brian but saying a respectful sorry for your loss that now seemed as casual as a hello by now.

"So, Penelope, what do you think of your husband's endeavours into becoming a businessman as well as a musician?" He inquired.

"I'm absolute furious," I laughed, causing George to grin and shake his head at me, "no but seriously, I mean, it's great. I'm a bit biased considering I'm the one wearing his ring, but I'm really proud." I grinned up at George, before he leaned down and placed a peck on my cheek, a light in his eyes appearing that was mirrored in my own.

I don't think I told him enough how proud I was of him, we had come so far from the Hamburg days.

Looking around I was truly amazed by the boy's continuation of their activities of Beatles since Brian's passing. Everything about the Beatles boutique was psychedelic and "in" and everything they were about today.

Though, I knew already they'd be getting numerous complaints about the exterior of the building, it was a dramatic change of scenery for the rest of the block.

George continued to give the interview to the reporter and all I had to do was look like the doting wife for much of the cameras benefit.

My eyes continued to search the boutique for Paul. It wasn't until the interview was finished that I had realized, Paul had found Linda himself, finding themselves tucked away in a nook close to the window, looking like they wanted to remain discreet.

"You didn't even have to reintroduce them." George looked astonished as the reporter went to move on with the interviewing.

"What did I tell you?" I looked at him with a smirk, feeling cocky with the matchmaking I'd done.

"If Jane finds out you've done this she'll have a fit." George looked down at me, almost scolding me knowing how well Paul and Linda seemed to click.

"She won't find out, any road she and Paul are breaking apart with or without Linda and I know you know it's true." I whispered back, causing him to give me a look obviously in disapproval of my actions.

The night continued on with George greeting numerous friends to the boutique, but I much preferred to stand off to the side being slightly uncomfortable hiding my pregnancy and avoiding John who had to be seen hosting with the other two for reporters, and I was glad to see Lina and we had even gotten the chance to speak.

"Linda Eastman? I'm Penelope Harrison." I grinned widely introducing myself as we stood to the side as the boys got their photographs taken.

She was dressed in a white blazer along a navy blue dress shirt underneath and white pencil skirt, causing her to look very professional and elegant as she had her camera slung around her arm. Her blonde hair was worn loosely down to her shoulders, and I was immediately taken with her thoughtful expression, I could see why Paul and her had taken so well to each other in their first encounter.

"Of course," she spoke excitedly, "thank you so much for inviting me, I've gotten loads of shots from this party alone." She beamed speaking with her charming American accent that made me melt. I had also told her to feel free to bring her camera to the opening of the Beatles Boutique as I felt she could make quite a pretty penny off of the photographs.

"Anytime. You've done some brilliant work for the lads and I'm honoured to have you 'round for a couple days." I nodded.

We had begun to talk maternity photographs when there was a sudden interruption, one which would evidently put a damper on the evening.

"Attention, attention, I would like to make a toast." Eric's voice rang throughout the boutique, slurring his words together drunkenly.

"We don't even have our liquor license, how is he pissed?" George asked as he and Paul rejoined Linda and I as he looked to Paul, Paul shrugging helplessly.

"I just want to thank our hosts, for a lovely opening and that I wish the best of luck to my friends." He had a tipsy smile as he raised his glass, causing his audience to aw and raise their drink glasses.

He began to descend from the chair before deciding to add;

"And a special best of luck to my mates who I've not been the best of friends to, George and his wife Poppy, and their baby Harrison on the way."

When I say that time froze still, I meant it. My throat felt swollen shut as everyone in the room looked over at George and I in shock as that news was not of public knowledge as of yet. A thick layer of tension engulfed the room as a drunken Eric Clapton was quite apparently not the way we had envisioned to break the news of our pregnancy.

Brian would've known what to do in this situation, however George and I were standing frozen being outed for something that wasn't even relevant to the evening.

"We should go now." I whispered wide eyed to George.