10. The Ballad of John and Yoko

They had gone through some filming on the bus of absolute insanity, as there was quite evidently no script planned, and everyone seemed a bit lost in confusion at what the lads were trying to communicate to them. I had spent most of the time watching the filming or learning up how to parent this baby through Cyn and the parenting books I had brought along. Tensions were already showing themselves at times with the four lads and their separate thoughts on how the movie should go.

It was times like these where I knew Brian's passing would affect me most, one of the reasons I was hesitant to come in the first place, he always knew how to keep things civil between the boys when they clashed with one another like this. Now no one was here to be able to mediate it, and I was worried for not only the movie but for the sake of the band.

To say the least, I was exhausted by the time we'd arrived to the first hotel we'd be staying in.

"George, Penelope, tell us, are the rumours true?"

"Mrs. Harrison, care to comment on Brian's death?"

"George, care to explain the photographs that have surfaced from Wales?"

Most of the loud questions from paparazzi I had assumed to be either completely made up or just plain disrespectful, but the last one filled me with confusion, what pictures? Did they know I was pregnant?

I was shoved into the building along with the rest of them by policemen, taking in a deep breath after we had finally gotten inside.

"Everything alright Poppy?" George asked examining me thoroughly, making sure I wasn't roughed up as if I were made of porcelain that was sure to break by a simple shove or two.

"I'm fine." I sighed with a nod, my eyes feeling heavy already.

He nodded with a satisfied grin, scanning me over once more.

"What pictures was that man talking about?" I asked George with pursed lips becoming curious once agin, seeing his smile momentarily fall.

"I haven't a clue." George pursed his lips, seemingly deep into his thoughts.

I began to question it myself thinking back about anything bad that might've been photographed, but I couldn't think of anything scandalous enough for the press to mention.

Unless it was something that had happened after I'd left, I wasn't sure what it could possibly be.

"Let's get a move along kids," Ringo smiled, "and, baby." He said with a wink and point to my stomach with a childlike smile before we had all maneuvered our way to the elevators.

I laughed and shook my head at him.

I noticed Ringo had his arm snugly around Maureen as he chuckled back at me. Maureen seemed suspiciously tense, as she had been for what seemed like days now, I had a growing suspicion she was up to something no one would like, but I just prayed it wouldn't hurt Ringo in any way, he was fragile as it was already. She was hiding something, I could feel it.

Soon enough I found myself in a hotel room getting ready for bed as George was in the hotel room a few doors down doing a radio interview with the other lads for the BBC.

He told me that I shouldn't wait up and that I should get some rest but I couldn't bring myself to close my eyes and relax though I was extremely tired, so I decided to go for a walk in the hallway and maybe go down to see if there was any food seeing as I was always hungry now that I was eating for two, but I would soon find out it would be a mistake.

Passing by each of the boys rooms, I stopped in front of John and Cynthia's door where a letter was sitting waiting for either John or Cynthia to open. I picked it up, letting my curiosity get the best of me. It seemed odd it was just left there when I'm sure Cynthia was just inside.

Even though I was fully aware I could've completely been crossing a line by reading it, I had expected to find a letter from a fan to the boys. What I found when I read the envelope was something that I couldn't have ever anticipated.

To my love Johnny

Love Yoko, xoxo

Yoko. The name sounded terribly familiar, which is why I was completely sure this letter was anything but a fan letter. To my love. What had John done?

The the sound of footsteps approaching the door from the other side was enough to make me stuff the letter into the jeans I had thrown on to take a walk with haste, uncertain of if this letter confirmed my fears that John and, Yoko, her name was, were doing something that would hurt Cyn if she knew.

Not that it was completely unusual for John to have the odd affair or two, but none of them had previously been serious enough to write love letters to him.

"Poppy?" Cynthia sighed with a laugh as she opened the door, as she was already ready for bed in her nightgown.

"Oh sorry, couldn't sleep." I gulped nervously looking down the hallway to make sure the boys were all still being interviewed, if I saw John right about now I wouldn't know how I would handle myself standing in front of Cynthia, who had been struggling to keep their marriage together for what seemed like months now.

"Come in for a while then! I feel like we haven't had alone time on the road in ages!" She exclaimed joyously, opening the door to let me in.

"Oh, I don't know Cyn-" I began nervously, feeling uneasy knowing I had something in my pocket I was sure would destroy her if she read.

"Oh come 'ead, I've got snacks." She sang knowing that would pull me in immediately.

"Right, only for a couple minutes then." I smiled though the letter in my pocket felt like it was burning a gaping hole.

I decided I would just return it to John as soon as possible and never read it, knowing the less I knew, the better. I would need to tell him what a mistake he was making first, he was married with a child.
              ______________________

I did my best to keep Cynthia from getting suspicious about anything, blocking the letter out of mind completely until we fell asleep while watching some Monkees reruns on the television.

Later I had felt George scoop me up from the bed while he and John got a kick out of both Cynthia and I's drowsiness, as well as the amount of snacks we'd opened.

"So precious." I felt John boop my nose as I was being cradled in George's arms, causing me to swat it away unable to fully grasp back onto reality yet.

I felt George's chest vibrating with laughter against my ear, a smile appearing on my lips because of it.

"Feisty even when she's tired ay?" John laughed before they said their good nights to one another, George and I leaving out of their room into the hallway.

"George," I felt the urge to speak suddenly, my eyes still shut tightly. I heard him hum quietly in response as he struggled to unlock the door to our room.

"Who's Yoko?" I yawned snuggling deeper into his chest, the question still burning in my mind even if I felt like I was about to drift out of consciousness again.

"Yoko?" He paused quizzically. "She's that artist John talks about all the time. Says she's absolutely mad in the best way." George seemed confused as we made it into the room, George letting me down onto my feet, finally causing my eyes to open.

I stuck my hand down for the letter from my pocket, realizing it was empty.

"George." My eyes shot open as panic began to ensue, searching all of my pockets over and over again to make sure I wasn't worried for nothing.

If John found it thinking Cynthia had found it, or if Cynthia had woken up and found it, well-

"Bloody hell. I-It's gone." I gasped.