8. Isn't It A Pity

"We can't sit in the car forever love." George reminded me as I stared wide eyed at the church where Brian's body laid in a casket like an exhibit. I remembered seeing my mother in a casket when I was young, and I never wanted to feel that same pain again.

"I know." I took in a deep breath turning back to his sorrowful expression that hadn't left his face since this morning.

"I promise you love, it'll be quick." George whispered softly into my hair before placing a kiss on my head knowing how much I dreaded this.

I nodded with a gulp as we walked into the church, all eyes immediately falling on the two of us from all around. I hung my head low to avoid eye contact with anyone that might try to fill me with grief, I couldn't handle any more.

We walked through to the front row pews where the rest of the boys and some of Brian's closest friends sat, sobs sounding from all around as we all mourned. Brian had gotten deep into the partying scene before he passed, I hadn't recognized some of the people around because of it.

We greeted all the lads and I knew John could tell I was near on the verge of bursting out in tears, because he brought me in to his arms.

"I love you too John." I whispered with a sadness overtaking my entire being. When John has no witty remarks to snap, it causes me to really think about just how much Brain truly meant to everyone in the room. I sat down in the seat, unable to understand why Brian had to leave.

I shut my eyes for a moment bowing my head, paring he was in the right place.

"Poppy, George," I soon after heard Eric greet us with a heavy heart from the end of the row right where we were sat.

My eyes were fixated on the casket up front, not even having realized tears had fallen before I looked over to him, seeing the all too familiar sorrowful look from him as I stared up trying not to let my pain show.

George stiffened beside me as I stood to greet him with a hug as I would anyone, George seeming to be displeased with the display.

"I'm so sorry again Poppy. Anything you need at all, I'd be more than happy to help out." Eric smiled dolefully with that innocent charm that I must've seen differently than George.

Surely George had nothing to worry about when it came to Eric, he was just a good friend to the two of us. I couldn't understand his sudden tenseness about him either, George had been the one that had become friends with the poor lad in the first place.

George said hello to Eric and sat down beside him, separating me so I would now be sitting next to Ringo instead of Eric. It might've seemed a bit excessive to take such silly precautions, but if it would stop George from having that sour and pouty look on his face, I figured it was worth a shot. Anyway, I knew it came from a place of love so I brushed it off.

"Altoid?" Ringo offered with a small meek grin causing a small smile of my own to peak on my lips.

"Sure." The ridiculousness made me let out a small chuckle as I popped one in my mouth, watching as Ringo wrapped his arm around my shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"I'm not the best at this sort of thing love, but I'm here for you, you and Brian have both believed in me from the beginning, and I will forever be grateful for that." He became more serious as his eyes welled up with tears.

"Richie." I choked out before placing a small kiss on his cheek after wiping away his tears.

I admired how he could always find a way to warm anyone's heart, his kind and gentle soul moving me to a state of awe.

"Poppy." I heard Louise speak softly as she placed her hand on my shoulder.

I looked back to see Louise and Harold getting situated behind us. My grin expanded as I placed my hand on the one she put on my shoulder. She leaned over and placed a small peck on my hand, causing me to let out a heavy sigh having been in need of that motherly warmth she seemed to carry around with her.

The pastor began the ceremony just after, causing my mind to spiral with a multitude of thoughts. I could barely concentrate on what the pastor was saying because of it. I had never dreamed I would be here at this age mourning him, and I was almost angry that he had been so careless about mixing those pills with liquor. I missed him more than anything, I still couldn't wrap my head around him really being gone.
______________

"Poppy." George said standing up beside me, the ceremony already having been finished before I could even realized it.

"Right." I dried my eyes once more before standing to leave.

Louise and Harold immediately took my into their arms comfortingly, myself becoming extremely grateful for the two of them right about now.

"Oh Poppy," Louise sighed heavily after a moment as she and Harold broke away from me to get a good look at me and my not yet visible baby bump, "he would be so proud of you, starting a family, I just know he would've done anything for the two of you." She grinned woefully, cupping my face in her hand.

"He was a truly great man." Harold added on, making it harder to put on a strong front.

"He was everything to me," I licked my lips and pursed them in a straight line, looking off into space before feeling Georges hand on my shoulder to snap me out of it, "but I'm going to show this child all the love that Brian couldn't and so much more." I nodded.

"We should probably all go to Kinfaus for awhile, so Poppy can rest, it's been such a long day already." George began, his parents nodding in agreement.

"That's probably best." I agreed as we began for the exit.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Cynthia and John's patience seeming to be running thin with each other across the room, John ending up stomping out of the church. I pretended not to have been staring when George turned back to me to make sure I was alright.

"Mum, Dad, could we have a minute? We'll meet you in the car." George handed over his keys to his father as they both agreed understandingly.

"You know I love you, right?" He took my hands in his, looking deep into my eyes.

"Of course." I nodded although it didn't feel as true as it should've.

"What's this about George?" I grew nervous watching the seriousness in his eyes with hesitancy,

"Well, me mum. I  know she didn't want to spring it on you now, but she told me she thinks it would be best if you moved back to Liverpool, until the baby comes." George looked like the words were poison on his tongue, his eyebrows knitting in a thin line.

"She what?"