5 - Names

A hush fell over the stony roads that snaked between high rising apartment buildings and the streets of the marketplace, now a temporary skeleton of the vibrant, wondrous atmosphere that previously surrounded it. Streetlights flickered as the lanterns that once emitted a warm glow had also faded away. The 28th Stop's citizens were almost all uniformly at rest, an occurrence that's near impossible for most towns in the outsider's world. Then again, the town's existence itself was no small nor common feat, let alone its stringent regulations on the lifestyle of its residents.

Amongst those who were awake, two men set out to take action on one of their plans.

Emilio and Gael took each step carefully on the pebbled road, avoiding any opportunities of noise that could break the sleeping spell that plagued the townspeople. They slowly made their way to the hotel that the interesting visitor - the girl with the beret - lived in.

Emilio cautiously opened the hotel's main entrance door, cringing when a high-pitched squeak radiated off the rusty hinges. The pair gingerly tip-toed along the corridor, with Gael lagging behind and slightly lifting Emilio's cloak in case the latter tripped, until they arrived in front of your room and stood at either end of the door.

"Is this the one?" The taller man asked.

Gael let go of Emilio's cloth and reached into his pockets, producing a crumpled piece of paper. He smoothed the creases and scrutinised the handwriting.

"Yes, at least that's what I quickly noted down when I overheard Aunt Carol talking to Sara earlier. The descriptions of her clothing in particular had fit rather well, though unfortunately I wasn't able to catch her name..."

"Just quickly, um...Sara who?"

"You know, Sara Chester, the girl who runs this hotel single-handedly?"

Who? Emilio didn't remember anyone by that name, but he didn't want to sound rude. "Yes, of course."

"Anyways, let's get back to the plan-"

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Emilio stared at the bandages that wrapped one side of Gael's face, barely reaching the corner of his eye. Dull blotches of red scattered underneath the soft material and several lines of red streamed out from under the folds.

Gael's face moulded into a serious grimace. "I've never felt more sure about anything else in my entire life."

"Okay." Although a little dramatic. "...even so, why this girl? Why not some other, I don't know, non-drunkard?" Emilio's eyelids were increasingly getting heavier and he stifled a yawn. "What's so special about this girl?"

"You don't understand. When I first saw her-"

"Oh geez, don't give me that love-at-first-sight crap."

"What?" A cough pricked Gael's throat and he quietly cleared it before it escaped his lips. Eyes narrowed, he looked into Emilio's own sharp and slanted pair. "Let me finish. When I first saw her on the train, she gave me one of my coins that I dropped. Even after holding it in her hand for more than a few seconds, she showed no signs of pain."

Emilio's eyes widened. "But how can that-"

A faint creaking noise emanated from the other side of the door in between them. They both immediately held their breaths.

After a few moments, they heard another creak, as though the girl inside rolled over to the other side. They released a collective sigh and Gael turned back to the other man.

"My point is that there's something interesting about this girl," the slightly shorter man whispered. "Something that will prove to be useful in the future."