25 - Penitence

Between shallow pants, Emilio sucked in a breath before knocking on the double doors of the Council building. While the muffled sound resonated through, he unfolded his cloak and swung it around his shoulders. The damp material clung onto his black shirt, as he bent over and propped himself up with both palms on his knees, chest heaving.

He waited, yet there was no response.

'That's strange. Still an hour left until the maids finish their shift. Did he let them go home early?'

Straightening himself, Emilio stuck the spare key from his cloak pocket into the lock. It opened with a slow and grating creak, which stretched out into the silence of the dark foyer.

"Hello?" The echo of his footsteps were louder than usual. "My Lo– Gael?"

He made a run for the grand stairs, bounding up each polished step, and dashed through the hallway. He stopped upon reaching the door gilded with the nameplate 'Gael Underwood - Office'. Emilio spared a dismayed sigh at the title, for his best friend spent so many coffee-driven, sleepless nights here that it may as well be his bedroom. The real one, laden with a king-sized bed, bookshelves and fancy decor, would have collected dust if it weren't for his vigilant maids and butlers.

Emilio rapped on the wood three times. "Hey, are you–"

He was interrupted by a muffled flurry of drawers closing, papers rustling and indiscriminate muttering. Soon, the door flew open. Emilio was met with a pair of bright blue eyes, crinkled at the corners, and a brighter smile.

"Emily! I was just thinking about you. Oh, I've missed you so much~!"

Emilio deadpanned. "We literally saw each other this morning."

"Too long for my poor, clingy heart." Gael wiped an imaginary tear and laughed, leaning his lanky body against the door-frame. "What gives me the pleasure of your company?"

"I...I'm not fully sure what's happened, so it could be nothing, but...I have a strong feeling that Falcon Girl is in trouble. I saw her with two suspicious men in the other side of town. Could you bring some help just in case?"

Instantly, Gael pushed himself off the frame by his shoulder and grimaced. "It's definitely not nothing, considering you're implying that you want me to bring Council guards, of your own volition." He walked over to the desk phone and held the receiver to his ear, using a finger to dial in the number for the Council Guard HQ. "Where are they, Em?"

"Inside the abandoned warehouse, near Ruth's old shop."

"Oh geez, really?" He visibly shuddered. "That place gives me the– Hello, is this Gary? Yes...ah, okay. Yeah, I need some backup with me for..."

Adorning his professional tone, Gael continued to explain the necessary details to Gary Stilton - the leader of the Council guards. Or, to Emilio, the second-most despicable man in the entire town, closely behind the mayor. Emilio glanced over at his best friend and noticed how the boy's entire stance changed - his back unnaturally straight, his shoulders tense and his gaze drilling into the wall opposite him. Considering how many similarities Gary shared with his father - from the bigoted values to the putrid arrogance - it made sense that Gael deplored conversing with the man just as much as Emilio did, if not more.

"...Okay. Thank you, Gary. I'll see you there." As soon as Gael hung up, his muscles visibly relaxed. He pivoted on his heel and strolled to the hat rack beside his desk, unhooking a...raincoat? No, two of them?

"Gael, what are you–"

Emilio reflexively caught the flying object. It took him a moment to realise that it was a black raincoat.