8 - Peculiar

The man crouched down against the oak tree, knees touching the long grass, and put a chubby finger on his earpiece. Upon activating the device, it released a crackle before his boss's voice buzzed into hearing.

"What? Did you find something useful this time, you worthless pig?" Despite the sound quality of the machinery being quite low in lieu of its low price, the harsh and brusque nature of the booming voice from the other side was all too clear.

"I believe so boss." He heard his own voice squeak. "I found Y/N." Technically, he found someone who was being called Y/N, as he recalled the purple-haired boy using that name to refer to the girl he was talking to. He also knew that Y/N was a reporter and their discussion earlier was about writing an article, indicating that the girl was also a reporter.

Silence followed until his boss whispered, almost in disbelief. "You...someone like you actually found Y/N L/N?" Another silence arose before bellowing laughter rung through the man's head. "YOU?! FATSO BOB?! Ahhh, this is priceless!"

Although he had only worked for two months so far under his boss, Wellington Gray, Bob had already gotten used to the incessant fat jokes that had nothing to do with his capability as a worker. In fact, the connotations behind such scathing remarks were nowhere near synonymous to his resourcefulness and hard-working attitude. He could say with full confidence that he was more dedicated to finishing a given job compared to any of his fellow co-workers.

These would have been admirable traits if it weren't for his current occupation as a debt collector.

With his laughter dying down to a few chuckles, Wellington spoke again. "Alright alright, I apologise." Like hell you mean that, asshole. "Describe what she looks like and I'll get on to her too."

Bob shifted his heavy body and peeked from the side of the oak tree to where he last saw the pair going. He scanned the area yet could not find a trace of where you had headed. Returning to his original position, he sighed.

"I remember a few details so I hope it's enough. Uhh...she wore a light orange dress that reached about an inch above her knees under her beige coat, which had its buttons undone. She wore thick dark orange stockings and uhm...a brown scarf around her neck which looked quite warm and snug. She also had black boots and I'm pretty sure she had a woollen beret tilted to the side-"

"I don't need a description that sounds like it came from the first chapter of some stupid romance story. What I was asking for- wait did you say a woollen beret?"

"Mmm yes, boss."

Another period of silence, where Bob could merely hear his own loud breathing through his nose and his boss's quieter breaths through his earpiece.

The interlude of peace was broken by Wellington's shrieks.

"WHAT?! That girl with the silly beret is Y/N L/N?" Bob cringed at the high-pitched feedback from his earpiece that ensued after his boss's shouts. "Bob, you don't understand. She was right next to me on the train. She was the bitch who took the coin from me. It was because of her that I experienced so much fucking pain. When I met her again, it almost seemed like she would break into a chase after me. I...I can't believe that, even for a moment, I was scared of that brat's sister! Tch, if only I had a closer look at her face, then I would've recognised her from the photos I found in her room."

Bob didn't know what else to say, except for the fact that he felt a smidgen of admiration and pity for a girl who could even make his boss feel fear. Admiration because his boss hardly felt fear. Pity because he knew that when his boss was like this, in spite of Wellington's usually poised self, he would morph into something inhuman. Something that can be capable of atrocities unimaginable.