24 - Reckless

Collective footfalls ricocheted off the walls of the rooms, each one more dilapidated and miserable than the last. Whilst facing the backs of the three men, you were taken through a series of corroded doors and long hallways, the air reeking of dust and dirty water. With each passing moment, the place seemed more like an endless maze than just any old building.

No one spoke a word since you kicked Tony where the sun doesn't shine - though, now that you thought about it, the expression didn't really work in this town. Over a week had passed and there was no sight of the morning rays. Was there ever a time when the sun rose above the horizon? Or a time when 'cold' wasn't the only climate?

The sound of steps halting broke you out of your thoughts. In front of you was another door, grimier than the entrance to this place. You faintly heard someone yelling on the other side.

"Looks like we're here," Misha said. "Bob, why don't you do the honours?"

Bob gulped thickly. "Knock? Um, no thanks."

"Well, I can't do it. My hands are tied."

"And I'm crippled, thanks to the twat," Resting his chin on Misha's shoulders, who was giving him a piggy-back ride, Tony shot a pointed look at your direction.

You scoffed. "It wasn't even that hard."

Before Tony could protest, Misha interjected. "Then you do it. You are the guest of honour, after all."

Rolling your eyes, you walked up to the door. The more you witnessed the antics of these henchmen, the more the initial fear buzzing under your act ebbed away. Yet you held your guard, for they were still dangerous and because their unease regarding Wellington seemed unanimous. You raised a tight fist and knocked three times.

The yelling stopped. The clacking of boots progressively got louder until there was a click on the handle and the door shrieked wide open. Just a foot away from you was a familiar man sported in black attire, matching Sara's description of the felon who threatened her. Sure enough, it was the businessman you bumped into on the train and around town. Wellington Gray.

"Y/N! So glad that I could finally meet you." You caught him quickly dropping something into his coat pocket, the brief flash of the object made it most likely to be a phone. He must have been yelling at whoever he called, or whoever called him. When he smiled, you had a full view of his uneven yellow teeth.

You frowned. "Unfortunately, the feeling isn't mutual."

"How cute. Come, take a seat."

He stepped aside and motioned towards two wooden chairs behind him, facing each other in the middle of the small room. Unlike the other rooms you passed, this one was well-lit with multiple ceiling bulbs that cast light onto each edge and corner.

"Finally, a seat!" Tony rejoiced. Holding onto Misha's shoulders for stability, he carefully jumped onto the concrete floor and dusted off his sleeves. "The walk here was exhausting"

"No." Wellington's face fell as he averted his gaze to his minions. "The seats are for Y/N and I. You three will be standing around us." He turned back to you. "Come."

You followed him and sat down, your knees were only a few inches away from his. You folded your hands on your lap and straightened your back. Misha strolled up behind you and leaned an elbow against the head of your chair, winking down at you with his trademark sleepy grin. Tony dragged his feet to the space right next to his Boss, while Bob padded forward to stand at his other side.

"Now then." Wellington crossed his legs, briefly brushing his boots against yours. "Let's get straight into it, hm?"

"Of course, but first thing's first. Where's Asher?"