9 - Encounter

"Black magic?" A sharp gasp left his lips.

Hazel eyes trailed the elegant silver lines that intertwined with the title, like snakes which enticed him to turn the page with every hiss. His lanky form leaned forwards and he slowly reached out towards it. The moment his fingers touched the hard cover, an enthralled shiver coursed down his spine.

He couldn't deny it. Asher always had an inner hidden fascination for the occult. Its taboo yet beguiling nature fascinated him to endless depths; the gore, torment and other horrors behind it were never a problem for him.

Saying that he was personally familiar with them would be an understatement.

"Ow!" Someone grunted in the distance ahead of him.

He looked up to see, at the other end of the aisle, a chubby guy in a black over-sized sweater and loose jeans who was rubbing his head, cringing with pain. Asher looked at the heavy book by that man's feet, which must have caused the impact, and trailed his eyes to the chain of fallen books, which led back to...the book he accidentally pushed over.

The purple-haired boy stood up, stretching his lower back. Not soon after, he found himself walking to the chubby man.

"Excuse me, mister. Are you alright? I'm afraid it might've been my fault that this book had been knocked over."

Startled, the man looked in his direction. "Oh, uh, yeah I'm...I'm alright, and it's okay."

Behind the other man, Asher saw the librarian approaching in quick steps and brought a thin wrinkled finger to her lips. Clenching her stained teeth, she hissed a sharp "shh" and walked away, muttering 'outsiders' under her breath. Though it was loud enough to be heard by the two men.

Asher smiled. "You're one too?" It sounded like they were part of some cult, he mused.

The chubby man scratched the back of his head, his eyes downcast and mouth slanted in uncertainty. "Well, 'visitor' sounds better, but whatever floats their boat."

The purple-haired boy gave a short laugh. "I'm Asher. Who do I have the pleasure of talking to right now?"

"Hey Asher, I'm Bo...Boris."

They exchanged a few more words, before they parted. Asher went back to his spot, picked up the black magic book, and prudently put it at the bottom of the pile to evade your attention. He heard his back pop the minute he lifted the tall stack. Clambering towards where you sat, he plopped the pile of books onto the empty chair beside you with a loud thump.

"Great!" You beamed upon looking at the mass of resources. "I finished my lot of work too. Let's go get these checked out."

Picking up the top half, you grunted as you struggled to balance it in your arms. "Geesh, how are you so strong?"

A smirk imbued his features while he lifted the other, much larger, half without breaking a sweat. "Looks like a turnip is much stronger than a falcon, hmm?"

You grit your teeth and stole a few books from the top of Asher's pile. Putting it on your own, you picked up the taller pile with wobbly arms. Before you marched past the boy, you stood on your toes and hissed in his ear. "Caw caw, bitch."

Taking a few steps forward, you made sure to kick dust backwards in his direction. It took all your remaining strength to not look back at his inevitably befuddled expression, yet the mental image was enough to appease the desire.

You reached the counter and dropped the books on the desk. A few seconds later, another thud ensued beside you. Asher cleared his throat, his voice coming out hoarser than usual. "Umm, we would like to check these books out."