13 - Dance

(Again, right click on the above video and press 'Loop' for the full experience)

Before giving Asher a chance to shoot back a riposte, you were hauled towards a small group of guests. Among them, a glaringly short and stubby man caught your attention, the back of his grey suit and hair facing you. His audience, an average bespectacled man and his scrawny wife, stretched their lips and bared stained teeth as they laughed every minute or so at his spiel.

Their wide smiles didn't reach their eyes.

The man, however cute his short stature, was either exceedingly bad at jokes...or terrifying enough to pry out an ostensibly positive reaction, perhaps to satisfy his wrath.

"Excuse me, Mr Underwood?" Gael paused and you almost tripped from the abrupt halt. Right next to Gael was a man probably in his 30s, wearing an old brown suit and checkered trousers. He was tapping a pen against a spiral notebook in his other hand. "I'm Howard Peterson, an editor for The Still Times. Would you mind if I ask you some questions?"

"Sorry but I'm a bit busy at the mom-"

The middle-aged man turned to you and raised his scrunched nose. "Who's this? I don't think I've seen her before. Must be someone important, considering that she's at this profound party. What's her name? What's her relationship with you?"

'Hello? I'm right here and I can talk.'

"She's an important guest, who I'll introduce to everyone else later-"

"Oh, I'm just bursting with questions now!" The man, who beheld a bushy moustache, grappled his arm around Gael's shoulders, making Gael awkwardly bend over. "Come with me! It'll only be a minute."

The younger man looked back at you, with a lop-sided grin and shrug, as the two of them dissolved in the crowd.

Leaving you alone.

'Wait, where did Ash go?' Your [e/c] eyes combed through the horde, only to find him with the Gatekeeper. The latter's eyes were sharper, and frown deeper, than usual as he led the equally miffed boy away. 'Turnip Head got into trouble already?'

You looked back at the small group of the three random guests...only to see that it disbanded, leaving only the stunted man. The man you hoped only had a tasteless sense of humour.

The closer you got to him, the more your conscience tugged at you to turn back. That this was a bad idea. But what else could you do? Gael was previously leading you towards this man and his animated audience. One of them was his father, who he wanted you to meet, right?

You were a few steps away from meeting his countenance when the man turned around himself, and recognition struck you like a boulder. The large, blocky face that was folded into thick wrinkles at the top and the set of striking blue underneath bushy, furrowed brows. It was none other than the same old man who drooled grandiosity as he led the tour on the first day of being here; the day of your arrival.

From his rather stout build, it was no wonder you couldn't see his face when he gave his opening address at the very start of this journey.

Upon noticing your presence, the Mayor glanced over you then did a double-take. He slowly trailed his predatory eyes up and down your body, the curves further accentuated by the tight dress to your dismay, and you caught him licking his lips.

'Yep, I'm taking a shower as soon as I get home.'

He gave you a wide smile, showcasing both rows of teeth. "Who do I have the absolute pleasure of meeting?" He took your hand and lifted it to his lips, planting a wet kiss that left a shallow pool of saliva on your fingers.