6 - Questions

Gael's facial muscles ached from the curt smile he plastered on his lips until Emilio closed the door of the girl's room. Immediately, he heaved out a sigh and massaged his cheeks. He winced whenever the movement tugged at the side of his head, the bandages slightly loosening with each rotation.

"My lord, do you want me to replace the bandages?"

"No." Gael's vocal cords were strained from the boyish voice he forced on a regular basis, leading to his normal deep and hoarse voice emitting from his mouth. His countenance relaxed into its usual grimace, lips straightened and eyes staring straight ahead, almost soulless.

Emilio sensed that something was terribly wrong. Ever since his father became the Mayor, Gael hardly broke from character whenever he was in public. The last time was merely a few months ago. He could almost hear the Mayor's booming voice, thrilled with rage. He could almost see his friend being dragged by the ear to the Council House and the blood-curdling screams that ensued hours after. He inadvertently shuddered.

Noticing this action, Gael raised an eyebrow. "Is everything alright, Emily dearest?"

"No- yes, my lord...I mean...Gael." The cloaked man released a heavy sigh as if exhaling the rotten memory out of his system. "It's just, your voice...and your face..."

Gael reached into his coat pocket, producing a small mirror, and quietly gasped at his expression. He tested his voice with a string of 'Ah's and pursed his lips at hearing his dull voice. His face morphed back into the innocent, child-like mask as he cleared his throat. Putting the mirror back in its place, he turned to Emilio.

"Better?" His voice returned to a smooth velvet.

"...I guess."

"Good."

The two started walking back to the council building. After a few minutes, Emilio broke the momentary silence.

"My Lo- Gael, may I tell you my thoughts about the current matter?"

"Of course, please do."

The taller man took a breath. "When we were in the girl's room, I have noticed many things that were wrong between her and the other man. First of all, even though they were apparently partners, they slept in different rooms, and the guy referred to his partner as Falcon of all things and..."

He was about to keep going until Gael interrupted him with a snicker of his own.

"I'll explain everything that I know later, Emily dearest, which may reduce some of your concerns. But for now, our main priority is to finish organising decorations and calling up guests to confirm their arrival at the party. My father also has appointments with other common townspeople."

"I see-"

"-But you and I both know that, really, I'm in the surveillance room and talking to Father over my headset about what to advise while he merely copies what I say. My father, truly, is useless in every single way." He added the last statement with a low, venomous whisper.

Emilio simply nodded.

A nod. Such an innocuous yet meaningless action, considering the lofty weight of Gael's circumstances. His tongue bore words of comfort, but what use would they have? They were no more useful than the previous times he spoke them, which always received a courteous smile from his poor friend.

Those string of letters would never banish Hill to exile, would never vanish Gael's torment and give back the childhood he never had, would never tarnish the constant judgement and scrutiny by the townspeople - especially the media - that enslaved the man to his appearance and mannerisms.