Chapter 12

Stiles woke up in his father's hospital room and saw that his father was not in bed. Worried, he left the room to look for his father. He found him in the morgue looking at a body. Stiles opened the door and went in. His father looked at him. "The story Theo told me about the library. That's how it happened. Except it didn't happen to him." He said when Stiles stood next to the body as well.

Stiles was fidgeting with his hand. Unable to make eye contact with his father. "Yeah."

"Stiles, I can't protect you if I don't know the truth. Did you feel like you couldn't tell me?" His dad asked.

"I couldn't tell anyone."

"Did you think that I wouldn't believe that it was self-defense?"

"What if it wasn't?" Stiles finally looked up. "What if I told you I wanted him dead?"

"I'd believe you. I also believe that wanting someone dead and murdering them are two very different things."

"Yeah, but what if the judge didn't think so?"

"Then to hell with the judge. Stiles, it was self-defense, and I would destroy every shred of evidence to protect you if I had to. I would burn the whole sheriff's station to the ground." The sheriff said and they both moved and closed the drawer with the body.

"What about upholding the law? What about Kira?" Stiles asked.

"Kira was a mistake. I guess I'm learning how to bend."

"So, what, it just goes away?" Stiles asked hoping the answer is yes.

"Not for you. The problem now is how to bear this burden. This kind of thing is not at all uncommon in law enforcement. A fatal mistake. A partner who dies. Or one who gets paralyzed." Stilinski said. implying Donovan's father. "Stiles, you carry that with you. Sometimes it doesn't truly feel okay again until there's a kind of counterbalance."

"Like what?"

"Like instead of taking a life, you manage to save one. Something like that can help, but maybe only for a moment. But the real conflict you're having now is between your head and your heart. Your head. Your head knows that the only crime you committed was surviving. But your heart? Your heart still thinks it was murder. So I guess you, uh You gotta get your heart to catch up to your head." Stilinski explained.

"I feel like it's more than guilt though, you know, I feel like I lost something. You know, I feel like I can't get it back." Stiles said wiping tears off his face,

Stilinski stayed quiet for a while. "You won't." He said. Stiles was not expecting that answer. He thought his dad would tell him how to fix that. That it would eventually go away. It hit him hard. "Not entirely. But you get a little bit by forgiving yourself. And since that's not always the easiest thing in the world to do, then maybe you start by forgiving someone else. Someone who probably really needs it."

"Someone like Scott." Stiles realized what his dad was trying to say.

                                    *****

Stiles was roaming around in the hospital hallway reflecting on the conversation he had with his father when he heard a voice. He immediately knew who the voice belonged to. He looked around and then he saw her. Allison was standing at the end of the hallway. "Hi, Stiles." She waved and moved forward towards him. Stiles was shocked to see that no one was noticing her passing by. She noticed. "don't worry Stiles," She said. "no one will be able to see me accept you." She stood right in front of him.

"What are you doing here," Stiles asked grumpily. He still was confused should he be scared or should he feel happy?

"I noticed a shift in your aura." She said. Stiles looked at him confused. "I see you talked with your father.

"yeah, I talked with him. so?" stiles was still confused.

"Your usual aura of regret, sorrow, and anger is now fading. It might be because of the talk." She replied annoyingly. "well stiles whatever your father said. I am sure it's some soothing stuff like you didn't mean it. It was self-defense. I will support you. Blah, blah, blah.." She said circling Stiles and dramatically moving her hands. "Well guess what Stiles? He is saying these things because he doesn't know you. He doesn't know this evil side of yours. He doesn't know how much you wanted Donovan dead. He doesn't know that you have more blood on your hand than any of them."

"You really think I don't know what you are trying to do here." Stiles chuckled. "I got a little bit stable. And now you are trying to bring me back to my lowest so that it's easy for you to bring me down." He said this confidently but he knew deep down that what she said was right.

You are too self-" Allison was saying something when all of a sudden she stopped, staring ahead. Stiles looked to where she was looking and saw Argent walking towards him. Stiles saw something flicker on her face.

"Hey, Stiles, how is your dad?" Chris asked.

"He is good. How come you are here?" Stiles replied but he kept glancing at Allison. She was still looking at her father.

"I had some work with Malissa." He patted Stiles' shoulder. "take care." He said and walked away, right past Allison but he couldn't see her. she kept staring until Chris was out of sight. Stile looked at her. Her features were gentle all the time she was looking at Chris, Not the usually stern and hateful look Stiles was always given. Stiles remembered what his father had told him earlier. "Sometimes it doesn't truly feel okay again until there's a kind of counterbalance. Like instead of taking a life, you manage to save one." Stiles smiled. He knew what he had to do. He would save her life. He would save his friend. He would save Allison.

                                     *****