Goi Cuo

A traditional land swap allows a city to trade a municipally owned site with a privately-owned site. These 'trades' are completed most often between a government entity and a private entity. As an example, the city of Rio de Janeiro resorted to land swaps to acquire property it needed for a large-scale waterfront redevelopment for the 2016 Olympics.

Land swaps are usually controversial, as one side is usually viewed, by those most negatively impacted by the deal, as benefiting more than another. At certain times in history, land swaps have even occurred between countries.

Serbia and Kosovo are currently considering such a transfer of land with each other, which would, on the surface, potentially stabilize the Balkan region and open the doors for both countries to join the European Union. At least that is the preferred public dialogue.

In 'pure and simple' terms though, the land swap would result in fewer Serbs living in Kosovo and fewer Albanians in Serbia allowing each country to become more 'ethnically pure'. The deal would be more of an exchange of populations, not landscapes.

There's always a story behind the story.

In early 2016 the median sales price for homes in Santa Ana averaged around five hundred and fifty thousand dollars and were trending about a 4.5 percent increase in value every year. Of course, housing reached their highs in the middle of 2006, which were followed by the lows shortly thereafter as real estate crash sucked the lifeblood out of Middle America.

An interesting anomaly though, was the listing and sale prices of residential properties had skyrocketed 447% since the last Orange County property reevaluation in 2011. This meant that home owners had benefitted greatly as their taxes were based on depressed real estate numbers. As long as they hadn't modified their residences, which would have automatically required a property inspector to visit the home and reassess the homes value, their property taxes in no way reflected the true value of their homes.

Real Estate, on average, is reassessed every five to seven years to determine its value for tax purposes, and Santa Ana was due once again, as the home owners weren't the only ones to notice the sharp increase in property values. The city administrators had taken note themselves at the revenue loss staring them in the face and had scheduled a citywide reevaluation to be undertaken in the early Fall of 2016.

To Vinnie Fuentes the stars, as well as the players, seemed to be in perfect alignment, due to, of course, his own brilliance.

'Soy un maldito titiritero y estoy tirando de todas las cuerdas' he thought to himself.

A regular Mexican Jim Henson.

So he had chosen April 1st, the Fools Day, for his brother-in-law to have a sit down with El Baleen, and offer him a way out of his financial mess. If nothing else, the Loper's leader was purposeful, and he knew the subtlety of the date would be lost on the Mayor. In fact, he was counting on it.

Carmine LaFrenza had been cleaning cash for a long time, but there was still a growing backlog of dirty greenbacks as the demand for the Lopers' products had continued to escalate, and he needed to move more vehicles to launder more money.

The problem was space. He already had too many vehicles on his lot and in fact had been issued a summons to that effect not two weeks prior. He either needed to expand or contract, and contraction wasn't an option; not if he enjoyed breathing.

In mid-2007, immediately following the real estate crash, Miguel Turedo's father, Sandoval, began to dabble in real estate, acquiring distressed properties for a fraction of their listing price a mere 12 months earlier. Among his purchases was a parking lot located adjacent to Orange County Auto Used Car, Towing, Parts & Repair in Santa Ana.