Youth 02

0 2

the calm

Mornings in 98 Burlton Boulevard were never quiet. As soon as the clock struck six, a domino chain of mornings began. To some, mornings were like a new beginning. For me, mornings were the nightmares I wanted to wake up from. But how can I wake up from my nightmare when my nightmare is reality itself?

On the first floor, the Kartals were already up and ready for their day. Time was money and with her husband taking half of all her earnings in alimony, Esther Demirci had to make the most of her day.

"Miriam, go wake up your brother."

"Mom, I finally got a break from the hospital, why can't I get one here?"

Esther gave up the fight with her oldest and turned to her youngest, "Jacob, go wake up your brother."

"I'm up mother," Isaac announced his presence just after Jacob got up.

"You missed most of breakfast but there's some cereal. Pick up something on the way to school if you're still hungry. Miriam you're in charge, dinner is takeout, I'll grab it on the way home from work. Any suggestions?"

"Pizza."

"Pizza it is. Bye kids."

Without a morning greeting or an I love you, their mother headed off to work. Two bites into his cereal, Isaac stopped eating when a furry creature was found in his bowl.

"Jacob! Watch your stupid pet." Isaac picked up his younger brother's pet mouse by the tail and dropped him on the counter.

"Albert was just hungry," Jacob said. He headed over to Albert who was on the table and put him back into his home.

As a so called side trade off for his intellect, Jacob Kartal has shown no signs of emotions. The fourteen year old was usually in an apathetic state. As a gift entering high school four years earlier than the regular expected time, their father Aaron had the brilliant idea to get him a pet. Out of all the pets Jacob could have picked, he chose a mouse.

"Damnit," Miriam said as she checked her pager on the couch. "Jacob you need to get to school early right? I'll go with you since it's on the way to the hospital. Let's go."

"Why do they want you? You're just an intern," Isaac asked his older sister.

"Should I even bother to dumb it down for you? You're definitely dad's kid. Let's go buddy."

And just like that, Isaac was left alone as usual. It didn't feel out of place, ever since his dad was kicked out of the house, he was always the odd one out. Dumping the rest of his cereal into the trash, Isaac headed to the fire escape and up one floor to Asher's house.

The O'Haras were second in the domino chain. With a 9 to 5 job and two daughters, Dean had to make sure everything was ready for the day to go smoothly.

"Morning dad," Delancy said, greeting her father with a kiss on the cheek.

"Good morning. Toast or bagel?"

"Surprise me."

Dean brought his youngest a plate of food and the two sat down to eat. They made small talk about school beginning for Delancy and Dean's latest project at work before footsteps running into the kitchen ended the conversation.

"Why didn't anyone wake me?" Rosemond shouted. "I'm going to be late. I'm going to be late. I'm going to be late."

"You snore like a hippo and run like one too, how am I supposed to wake you up without pouring water on your face? Last time you broke my lacrosse stick."