Youth 15

1 5

the hardest words to say

I like you. I like you. I like you! I don't understand, I say those words all the time by why don't I get taken seriously. Why is it so hard for you to understand my feelings? 

Isaac stared at Rosemond as she explained the concept to him. He already knew it, while slower than his siblings, he understood back when he was ten. If it wasn't for Rosemond, Isaac would have fallen asleep, like he did in class, out of boredom.

"You're staring again," Rosemond said.

"Well I do have an angel in front of me."

"Said angel has a boyfriend."

"So you agree that you're an angel, you sure are you mother's daughter."

"I can disappear like her too," said Rosemond. "Now pay attention, this is your last tutoring session before exams."

"So?"

"Your final exams in high school which will determine if you go into university or not," Rosemond said slowly.

"Mond," Isaac said, twirling a piece of her hair. "I'll do fine, just watch as I ace them."

"Isaac, what's one plus one?"

"Three. Me, you, and our dog Martha, unless you want a guy dog or kids."

"Martha?"

"Working name but I think Jacob might take it for his next pet. But do you like the idea? I was thinking of living up in Lilium, Forsythia is nice but you can't really raise a dog here."

Rosemond knocked on the table a few times to get Isaac out of his daydream, "Good luck raising a dog and living in Lilium if you can't graduate high school."

"It's fine, I was thinking to the other side of the country, we can go there."

"Isaac, your grades aren't good enough to get into a university on the other coast."

"I was told if I ace everything I could, it's just the final exam that counts for entrance marks," Isaac said eating one of the cookies he made.

"Hey, I thought those were for me," Rosemond said.

"If you date me I could make them all the time."

"Tempting but let's talk about your future," Rosemond said before she clarified for an enthusiastic Isaac, "your academic future."

"What about it, I already said I was thinking of going abroad."

"But what do you want to do across the country? Where do you want to study?"

"I don't know," Isaac said, leaning back. "I just, I just want to get away."

"Why? Is it your family?"

No, it's because of you. I've done so much to try to get you to look at me but like me trying to beat my siblings, it never worked. I want to get away not because of my family but because of my feelings from you. Maybe if I get away I can move on.