Youth 19

e p i l o u g e

young forever

As we grow older, it becomes more apparent to us that nothing lasts forever. The apartment complex on 98 Burlton Boulevard were we spent the days of youth may no longer be there but our memories are. From the pavement with the tiny green space beside it to the garden where the park once stood. To all the fights and all the celebrations that are still there in our memories. However, even as things come and go like the seasons, there should be one thing that never disappears. Our inner child, the one that thought anything and everything was possible. 

Their twenties were the most a period of life that could span a whole novel about. It marked the end of their formal education and first step into the real world. Some started before others like Rei who worked freelancing in school and others a bit slower like Diego who went into law school. It was a time for successes like Isaac and his baking business, failures like with Delancy's fashion career, and a bit of both in Asher's case with his basketball career.

The ten years ended some relationships and strengthened others. For the five friends, it really was a time for individual growth. All were in a new environment where they wouldn't be reunited seven years after their separation. It was Asher and Marie's wedding that brought them back three years after the original promised day.

Their thirties were when things finally seemed to fall in place. Careers finally took off, whether it be promotions or just getting into their wanted industry. It was also when they faced their biggest challenge, children.

Asher had issues with infertility, Delancy had issues with handling a young child and twins, Rei and Diego had issues with long working hours, and Isaac had issues with shedding but that was because he had pets instead of children.

Their forties were when the monthly dinners at A Taste of Hope for the group of sixteen began. Their schedules and children had finally calm down enough to meet up outside. The restaurant had gotten Delancy through a lot of hard times and the owner became a close friend.

Their fifties is where they were currently at and it was when the reminiscing began.

When we first left the apartment complex, we walked with a big smile on our face. A big smile which hid the many emotions underneath happiness, sadness, excitement, and terror. Back then we were baby birds that took the leap of faith. One that forced us to face the wind as our sheltered life disappeared as we tried to make it on our own. The question we asked was, could we fly?

Dinner finished smoothly and the friends took their families down to the riverbank. Marie, Eric, and Rosemond took the kids down by the water to play with fireworks. The five friends stayed back and reminisced in memories.

In front of them was the Toei Bridge and the wind blew towards them a sudden wave of nostalgia as they saw their younger selves crossing the bridges. When they were in elementary school and they were barely taller than the guard rails. Their middle school years five became four. When their teenage selves who would always run across the bridge after school. Always in the same order, Asher making a dumb face, Delancy one uping him, Diego and Rei laughing calmly, and Isaac laughing to the point he could barely move.