Chapter Two: Natasha, Where Are You?

"So what good would living do me?"
The Beach Boys, God Only Knows

"NATASHA," I STATED. I think I ruined the whole moment. I drew back, quickly. "Where's Natasha?"

The others looked uncomfortable, Dick scratched the back of his head. "There's a lot that we're going to have to bring you up to speed on, if you're in,"

"If I'm in?!" I exclaimed. They flinched at my tone, but I barely noticed. "In on what? I want to find my mentor, and nothing will bloody stop me! If you won't tell me, I'll just find out myself!"

"Shady calm down!" M'gann pleaded, putting a hand on my shoulder. I huffed, folding my arms like a grumpy three year old.

"Explain. Now." When I saw the look on their faces, I added, "Please?"

Nightwing sighed, and looked at his combat boots. "After you... Went missing, Natasha entered a deep depression. She's never stopped looking for you, but a month ago, she went off the grid. Not even the League knows where she is."

I gritted my teeth. "I'll just have to go find her then," I said determinedly.

"How?" Asked Superboy.

"I don't know!" I snapped. "I'll need to think about it!"

"It's ok, Shady. This must be very confusing for you..." M'gann said, trying to put it to me nicely that I might be off my rocker. I snorted.

"Three years." I put a hand to my forehead. "What the hell happened?"

M'gann and Nightwing exchanged worried looks. "Look, Shades," Nightwing said. "We'll help you locate Natasha, if you help us with something first."

"Pray continue," I said, unfolding my arms.

"We know that a group of aliens is in league with Black Manta and... Kaldur." He flinched at his once friend's name. "There is a rocket launching tomorrow, and it's to make contact with outer space. We know that there's going to be an attempt to stop it."

"What do I have to do with this?" I asked.

"We need your help," M'gann said. "Then I'll help you find Natasha, I promise Shady!"

"We all will," Nightwing said. It was like he couldn't keep his eyes off me.

Creep.

Woah, Brookston, take it easy. He's your friend, remember?

Well, you were stupid to think we were more. Until he started dating Zatanna. And then Rocket. I mean, for God's sake, face it! He's a playboy!

He's still your friend... It's not like he didn't miss you.

Give me a break. He obviously thinks he still has a chance with you. Well, slap him with his own game; TURN HIM DOWN.

I looked coolly back up at him. "Alright then. It's just guarding, right?"

"Yes," M'gann answered.

"Em, are you ok with jumping back into it?" Nightwing asked.

"I am,"

"Are you... Really sure?" He was looking me in the eyes from behind his mask.

Don't fall for it. You fell for it once, show him you're not naive anymore.

I looked straight back up at him, my gaze unblinking and hard. He was surprised at my forwardness, and flinched at my cold exterior.
"Absolutely," I replied, smiling at him. But I could tell that he saw my smile contained nothing but ice and pain. He knew exactly what he'd done, and I was going to make sure that he knew that I wasn't going to fall for him anytime soon.

Brookston, are you going back to how you were?

Well, what happened when you quit being like that? Wasn't that your number one golden rule? Don't trust anyone? But then you let stupid Boy Blunder into your heart, and look where it got you. You almost died.

Maybe that edgy voice was right. I had given myself away, made myself feel again. Perhaps I should become what I used to be, untrusting and nervous...

Like that small girl back at Katniss. You knew what you were doing then. Until you met... Him.

Find Natasha. You don't need him. You don't.

"Alright!" M'gann cheered, snapping me out of my thoughts. "I still have your old costume, Shady, just a second!" She flew off, making me jump. I'd forgotten she could fly. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I knew who it was, and with a sigh, I turned to face Nightwing.

"It's... Great to have you back, Em, but..." He hesitantly put a hand up, and curled one of my hair strands around his finger. I felt my breath catch in my throat, my heart beat increasing.

Hey! Get your dirty hands off me!

But I couldn't move. Those bubbling feelings of romance, that I thought were gone, were still there. Even if they were burried deep, they would remain.

God, no! How can you still like him, after everything he's done to you?

"I have to ask you something," he continued. I looked around for some form of help, but the adolescents behind us were immersed in their own chatting.

No, no, no... I can't fall for him again...

"Shoot," I replied, surprised at my smoothness.

"Are you- do you-" he stuttered, cupping my face. That was the final straw, I'd had it with his flirty ways. It was like he was purposely trying to mess with my feelings. Maybe he knew they were there, maybe he thought he had another chance with me.

No siree, not today.

I pulled back, removing his hands from me.
"Please stop, Richard." I snapped.

Nightwing's face controted into a look of sadness, and he tried again, stepping forwards. "It's not what you-"

"It's exactly what I think," I cut in angrily. "You think you can just pull me over again? After you played with my emotions like that? No, just no. It's not going to happen again." I stiffened, "Grayson."

I spun around, and walked away, half of me feeling upset, the other half proud of my assertiveness. I realized that the little girl, with the manners, the cute hairstyle, the shyness, was gone. I was ready to accept that. Sure, I was still pretty shy, but I didn't use my politeness as much as I used to, and I was definitely not ready to bend at anyone's will again. Especially not his.

I used to keep my head down, agree politely, and say nothing.
Not anymore. I was now prepared to say what I thought. And if anyone had a problem with that; get used to it.
I guess people were going to have to accept the fact I wasn't what I used to be.

People change. That's just life.

Then life is a-

Language.

Do you remember that?

Obviously. Wally kept saying to me when ever we tried to swear.

I wonder how he is.

What I'm more concerned about is Dad. After this mission, we better go find him, and ask what's up. But we find Natasha first.
Sheesh. I've got a lot to do, haven't I?

Maybe I should back out of the mission, I could just stay and binge Star Wars...

No. Just get with it, Brookston.
On another note, I wonder if there have been any more movies...