Chapter Ten: No Filter

"Pick yourself off the ground."
Village People, Y. M. C. A

"You actually met them?" Dad said in disbelief, as he threw Natasha a Coke. It landed on the back of her head, thanks to his poor aim, and she let out an "oww" that he rudely ignored.

"Yes," I replied, pouring some milk into the tea I'd prepared for myself, before I sat down heavily on the dirty couch in the apartment, with my mug.

We were back in Dad's temporary flat, Natasha and I understandably exhausted from our encounter with the Overdogs.
"Emilia, why do you have to be so reckless?" Dad sighed, and although he was trying to cover it up it was evident he'd been worried.

"Look who's talking," my Russian mentor mumbled, glaring daggers in the back of his head.

I remained silent; I was very conflicted. On one hand, I wanted to help my father. That meant a full commitment, no other distractions, as I fought to keep him breathing. On the other hand, we had the team. The people who I thought had changed my life drastically. Perhaps I could go back there. But then again, it was another full commitment.

I exhaled half-heartedly, slumping back in my chair.
I mean, where did part time work go?

"Nat," I suddenly spoke, and she hummed in response. "Can we talk? Just you and me?"

Dad looked as if he were about to object, but Natasha gladly shoved him out of the living room, locking the door, before sitting next to me. "What's up?"

"Should I stay with Dad or go back to the team?"

"Mm," Widow fiddled anxiously with her coke can. "That's a tough question." The pause in between told me she was considering the options. "Em... Let's be real here. Your dad... He's not going to last long."

I stiffened, hunching into myself, sensitivity painfully evident. "I can't just-"

"Let me finish," Natasha cut in masterfully. I shut my mouth. "So I suggest that you devote this time to protecting your dad. Spend as much time with him as possible. Because... As much as you don't want to admit it... Em, you know he's going to die."

The words hit like bullet, tearing through any previous hopes of me attempting to keep him alive. I whimpered; and then I was suddenly crying quietly.

Natasha placed a hand on my back, rubbing it comfortingly. "I know..." I sobbed, "I know that it won't last... But I still... For some reason... I thought..."

"Truth hurts, Em. But would you rather I lied to you?"

"I never want you... To lie to me,"

"Well then. It's better. Truth is cold, and cuts hard, but lies are like waiting in prison for your hanging. And I know you've always hated lying because it's what your family did. So I won't lie to you; but that means that you shouldn't lie to yourself."

I nodded weakly, burying my head in her shoulder. "I'm sorry," I choked out, "I'm sorry for being weak, I'm sorry that I'm laying all my problems on you... I'm sorry, Nat..."

"Shut up..." She ruffled my muddy locks. "We all need someone to lean on."

"Nat..." I raised my head for a second, suddenly troubled. "Who do you lean on?"

She smiled at me gently; "You."

"Me?" I repeated, blinking rapidly.

"Yes, you. Em, for a long time, I was empty. Before I came here, my family made me feel complete... The Avengers truly helped me. However, when I came here, I lost that resolve. I was the KGB agent again. And I resented the Justice League for trying to properly recruit me, because they didn't understand me like the Avengers did. But then you came along. And I saw myself in you; so I wanted to help. Then you went and disappeared for three years, so I crawled back into my pit of depression." She chuckled dryly, "But now you're back. Em, you've got to understand that now that I don't have the Avengers... It's you. You are my family."

There was a pause, as I digested her words.
"You're my family too, Nat," I whispered, wiping my nose.

"Promise me one thing," Natasha instructed. "Promise me you're never going to leave like that again. If you're going to die, do it properly."

So I swore to her I'd never leave her side. I smiled throughout; because I knew that leaving her was something I could never do. After Dad was gone, I'd only have one family member left alive. And that would be Natasha.

I smiled... Because for once, that's a promise that I could keep.