♛ | Chapter 1 - "premature beginnings"

Doubt. It is the absolute uncertainty in ones situation. That is what doubt is and always will be.

I have never, in my seventeen years of life, ever doubted my mother. She was always the one with the correct answers and I never questioned. I had no reason to. Until now, that is.

My mind, confused and my heart, pounding, I stared at the most important person in my life.
She was kidding. She had to be.

"I don't understand what's going on," I manage to say.
My mother sighs, the action ageing her. "I know nothing makes sense, but it will. Trust me. Please."

It was the please that had me taking a step back. My mum was stubborn, hard headed and at times, cold. She was not one to say please. I attempt to swallow the growing lump in my throat. "The is insane! How do you expect me to leave with some stranger?" I sputter out. My heart beat erratically and my eyes skitter over to the said stranger.

He stood strong, shoulders back, chin up. He had walked in like he owned the place. That was the first thing I had noticed about the new comer; his dominance and the more dominant stick up his ass. He had this underlying yet prominent air of authority which grated against my nerves. I refused to even acknowledge the thought of this stranger having any kind of power over me. I held his domineering gaze for all but a second, returning my eyes back to my mother's.

"Maria, he's not some stranger. He is here to help you," she grinds out.
I was near explosion. There was too many questions not answered. "Help me with what? And who is he? Who is this stranger that wants to take me away? Who is he?" I shout, taking an absentminded step closer with my frustration.

"My name is Orion."

My muscles seize up as his cool voice speaks up. Damn, even his voice demanded authority. It was perfectly deep and compelling. If I was in my right mind, I knew I would have never done what I did next.
Stomping over to the obnoxious stranger, I wave a finger in his face. "Listen whatever your name is-"

"Orion. My name is Orion."

I fume at his cool indifference. He was calm. Still. He knew all the answers. I refrain from pommeling into him, having some sense of mind to know that wouldn't end well for me. I was having a tantrum. I knew I was. But that didn't stop me.
I let out a frustrated growl, the thought of strangling this abhorrent man enticing. "I don't care what your name is. You are not taking me anywhere," I spit out.

"Maria," my mother warns in a clipped tone. I do not acknowledge her though. I hold Orion's unrelenting stare, refusing to back down. His light brown eyes were cold and as I stared longer, I could've sworn they flashed gold.
"Astraea," he said in his calm manner. It only added to the questions.

"Now who the hell is Astraea?" I ask, flinging a hand out in gesture. I didn't expect the response to come from my mum. I didn't expect her to sound so shaky either.
"No one. Astraea is no one."

I whip around to face her, my eyes narrowed. She knew everything, just like son of a bitch, Orion. I slowly back up. I didn't like this. I didn't like this at all. "Both of you know everything," I state more than question.
"Was I implying that I didn't know everything, Maria?" Orion says, saying my name almost mockingly and looking at my mum while saying it. I cross my arms. He said it like there was something wrong with my name.

I look between the two. "What was that look? Why do you have such a problem with my name?"

Mother shot Orion with a scathing look that didn't last a second while he merely gave me a blank stare. The silence stretched while I tightened my arms. I turn to him, "why don't you just tell me everything?"