♛ | Chapter 27 - "shirtless chef"

The days are a tantalising blur as I do my best to keep Orion distracted from anything to do with his father. It was only us for now and I didn't mind it one bit. Well, it was us and the stars as they still gave me visions. There were two; one of a particularly interesting ring and another of an orange dress.

The visions were unnerving and in no way helping at all. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to save a kingdom with this information and I told Orion this. He had said that we would figure it out together so I left it at that.

I sat at the kitchen counter as usual, watching my mate cook us dinner. It was a pasta night. "Are you sure there's nothing I can do to help?" I ask him, swinging my legs slightly. He shakes his head in response. I tilt my head, "You sure you don't want to take your shirt off then?"
Orion pauses and I grin as he turns his head to look at me. I wiggle my eyebrows suggestively. "Cooking without a shirt can be a safety hazard if I decide to accidentally spill anything on myself," he says before returning to the pot in front of him. I roll my eyes. "Okay first of all, you're Prince Orion who doesn't make accidents and secondly, you're a mage. Your healing is great so even if you did accidentally spill anything hot, you'll be fine."

Before I can say anything else, his shirt is flying across the small kitchen and hitting me square in the face. I huff but don't make any further complaints. My prince was now shirtless after all. I chuckle at his sculpted back. This man was perfection.

I knew that Orion was confident in his body but he wasn't arrogant about it. That was another thing that drew me to him... besides his ass. He was humble in his own way and I didn't think many people knew that about him. I let my mind wander as my eyes did their own wandering.

It was the night right after I had slept besides Orion the first time. The cabin was quiet as I laid in bed. After all, my mate and I had retired to our rooms. The night sky would be leaving soon which wasn't alarming as my body was getting better with the Night Throne's sleeping schedule. Although what was alarming was the fact that the only thing I wanted to do was jump into Orion's bed. My own felt bereft.

I contemplated just joining him but wasn't sure how he'd react. But, he did ask you to stay yesterday, Strae. I thought that over. True. I decided to do what I do best; not think too much about it. Hopping out of the bed, I made my way to Orion's room. Again, the door was opened before I could even touch it. Of course, courtesy of his royal highnesses magic.

"You took your time," he said as I had come in.
I roll my eyes. "You could have- I don't know, asked me to come?"
He scoots slightly over and brings the covers back so I can slip in. I get in as he responds, whispering this time. "I don't usually ask for things." His words weren't arrogant, instead they admitted the truth. He was the prince. He got what he always wanted without having to ask. Unfortunately for my adonis of a mate, that wasn't going to fly with me. "Next time if you want something, you're going to have to ask for it," I said, his arm wrapping around my waist. I moved closer to him.

His body pressed up against mine was quickly becoming one of my favourite things. It was addicting. Like him.

"Sure," he had mumbled non committedly, his breath softly fanning against my neck. He gave my forehead a kiss as I had snuggled closer.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts as a plate softly clunks in front of me. I smile up at Orion and thank him for the food but take both his and my own plate to the small dining table. He still didn't have a shirt on but I wasn't complaining. Good food with an even better view.

We would have to leave the cabin tomorrow night. A big part of me was sad that my time alone with Orion would be over but another part of me was relieved that we would be moving forward with our relationship. Dread overshadowed all of that though because I knew that once we returned home, chaos would become a happy resident in the kingdom.