♛ | Chapter 12 - "prepare with a nap"

I look at the almost finished dress. It was beautiful, even with the few loose threads sticking out. I stood on a round mini stage that was smack in the middle of the room. The room with one too many mirrors.
Linda, the seamstress, stood with a needle that had come close to stabbing me a couple times. Despite her stabbing tendencies, the woman was a goddess with her work.

The base fabric was a timeless black and the skirt billows at my waist. The top bodice is tight with a simple sweet heart neckline, the dress sleeveless. Ethereal gold detailing trails the bottom of the long skirt and draws upwards, stopping just below my breasts. It was a gorgeous gown, fit for a queen.

With only a day left till my birthday ball, Linda was stressed. I felt bad for the ageing lady. "The dress really is beautiful," I compliment, unable to tear my eyes away from the blinding gown. "It's a disaster," Linda all but shrieks. I tear my eyes away to look at the seamstress. She was digging through the massive bag she had brought with her, muttering to herself. "A beautiful disaster, nonetheless," I say, twisting to look at the back. The back was cut into a deep u-shape, gold chains hanging across to offer some modesty. Linda continues to mutter to herself while I stand there, staring at myself.

I looked the same as I always did. Hair straight, skin ghastly pale. Eyes dark, eyebrows only slightly thicker than usual. I would say I looked like a natural emo queen who liked gold too much.

"Well, would you look at you!"

Linda and I turn to the booming voice, the King surprisingly sporting a modern day suit and smile. The attire makes the man seem impossibly more powerful. The seamstress scuttles to my side, bowing low. Without Gray or Orion with me, I find myself bowing too. "King Elias," Linda greets, still bowing.
I hear his powerful steps stop before us, "Linda Night and our Lady of Starlight." The two of us stand as I follow Linda's lead.

Elias. The name suited the King.

He smiles warmly at us. "Astraea darling, you don't need to bow. You are after all, our Preserver, our saviour," he says, attention directed to me. I offer him a small smile, trying hard to not let my nerves get the better of me. The King was one person I never wanted to mess with, even with his warm smiles. "Okay," I mumble in response. He takes a step back with one hand in his pocket, looking me over. "You've done an outstanding job, Linda," he praises the woman. She smiles with a deep blush, so unlike the woman five minutes ago. She practically glows with her King's approval. "Thank you, your majesty."

"Well, I've just come to check on things while I have a break. Being a King can get quite tiresome," he says, rolling his eyes playfully. I chuckle, "everything is fine."
"I hope my son is taking good care of you."
"He is." I fiddle with the dress under his gaze.
He grins, "that's wonderful to hear. I do have a surprise for him." He winks at me. "Unfortunately Orion will have to wait a bit."
"I bet he'll be happy about it," I murmur.

"I sure hope so. Oh, but you can't tell him about it," The King says, raising his eyebrows expectantly.
"Of course. I won't," I promise. After a swift goodbye, his highness leaves, Linda breathing a sigh of relief. "You okay, Linda?" I ask.
"I'm fine," she peeps. After another hour of probing, I'm finally free to go. It was past midnight and I could hear everyone outside. I was tempted to join the awake people but sleep was too important at the moment. Besides, I'll be meeting them all on my birthday.

Sleep tugs persistently so I get ready for bed as fast as I can. I was exhausted from being up late but this was the only time Linda could see me. After all, that's when she wakes up. Trudging to my large bed, I get in and tuck the silk sheets around me.
Sleep finally had me.

✦✧✦✧

As I enter the grand dining room, I'm surprised to see Orion already seated at the grand table. He doesn't bother looking at me as I take a seat, paying attention to his breakfast. After I pile my plate up, he finally looks up. "You'll be eighteen tomorrow." I nod slowly. "Most people in the kingdom will be here," he continues and I don't let myself think about that fact. Hundreds of people coming to see me... wonderful. "Your family will be there," he adds once I don't respond. My hand halts in the air, pastry waiting to be devoured. My biological family. How could I have forgotten?

"Will I see them during the ball or before?" I ask. I couldn't deny my curiosity.
"Would you like to see them before?" Orion answers with a question, leaning back into his chair at the head of the table. I think about the question. Did I want to see them during the ball with people around watching? I frown, "before would be nice."
"Then you will see your family before the ball."

I continue to eat my spinach and cheese pastry, satisfied. "What do I even do at this ball?" I question.
"Sit and look pretty," he answers blandly, sipping his tea. I give him an unimpressed look to which he sighs to. "There will be a dinner held in your honour first. You won't have to do anything. Like I said, just sit and look pretty." I send him a scowl as he continues. "Afterwards, we will move into the Grand Hall where father will give a small speech to officially welcome you to our Throne. He will present a crown and you will graciously accept it," He all but mocks towards the end. "I get a crown?" I shamefully squeak.
"It's the handed down crown of every Lady of Starlight before you. It's yours after tonight."

My eyebrows rise to meet my hairline. "Tonight? I thought it was tomorrow."
"It is tomorrow. The dinner starts at four."
"PM?"
"AM."

I remember their nocturnal ways but, "how do you expect me to stay awake for so long?"
"That's why you need to rest again in the afternoon. You will be awoken at two." After a moment he adds, "AM."
"I guess that'll work," I murmur, doubting my ability to stay awake.
"You won't have to stay long for the ball. An hour should suffice," Orion mentions, almost like he was sensing my doubt. I offer the naturally cold man a smile. Despite him being an ass half the time, he was always there for me. He regards the smile with narrowed eyes, clearly not trusting it. I only chuckle in response.

"There's a good chance your mate will be there tomorrow considering the numbers that are coming and only people from the Night Throne is eligible to be your mate. So be prepared," he suggests monotonously.
"Prepared?" I repeat.
"I've been told it's more intense than most would expect."

♚♔

ah well, this is when the real fun begins...

-riona