♛ | Chapter 13 - "script of the stars"

"Wake up, Astraea."

I groan slightly, turning over.

"Wake up."

I ignore the insistent voice, stuffing my face into the comfortable pillow. "Go away," I mumble. It felt way too early.

"Wake up, Preserver."

That certain word has me cracking an eye open almost instantly. I groggily sit up, the moonlight lighting up my room. Goosebumps reign my body and I absentmindedly rub my arms as I survey the room. I frown when I find no one. Not an utter soul to whisper the words to me.
"The balcony."
The same voice reaches my ears with a lull that has me pulling off the silk sheets without a thought. The glass doors that led to the balcony open soundlessly as I get to my feet.
"Come closer."

The strange voice sounded sultry yet loving while being cold and depraved. It was hard to describe, almost like there were multiple people whispering into my ears. I look around only to again come up empty handed. I take a step towards the open doors, taking in a short breath of fresh air. The biting wind had never felt so warm. My eyes don't leave the open sky that peeps out as I walk out to the balcony.

I had no say in my movements but I don't find myself struggling for control. I was in a trance as the wind greets me lovingly. The cool floor kisses my bare feet as I finally step through the doors. I could hear the people outside as they woke up and greeted each other. I could hear their boisterous laughs and the rushing of the water from the lively fountain below. It was all a deep combined lull as my eyes ever so slowly draws up.

"Welcome, Astraea, Preserver of the Night Throne."

Snapping out of the trance, my eyes widen. The stars in the night sky glows proudly, almost blindingly. "Who are you?" I whisper into the open air as I clutch onto the stone railings.
"We are the Night Lords and you are our messenger. Read carefully human, for one mistake on your part can cause the extinction of The Night Throne," The same voice whispers and yells. I feel my heartbeat spike as it pounds against my chest.
"Read what?" I murmur, my eyes frantically roaming the stars as they started to get fuzzy in my vision. Afraid to shout out, I look down to check if it really was my vision that was playing up.

It wasn't. I could see the people below just as clearly as I had barely five minutes ago.

"The script of the stars."

I mentally curse. "Right. I can read the fucking stars. How could I forget?" I hiss to myself. It felt all too real. Everything was real. Every little thing that Orion said. True. Real.

Fuck.

I turn my attention back to the fuzzy stars. "You have been chosen. Do not bestow shame upon us," The Night Lords say. I keep my mouth shut, aware of the underlying threat they spoke of. Why was I chosen? I didn't have the guts to ask. The stars start to clear up in my vision as I feel the wind recede away from my form. They were clearer now, much clearer.

They were different to how I remembered. The stars were in different places, in patterns. My eyes sweep over its expanse. "The script of the stars, indeed," I mule quietly. A small smile flicks onto my face without consent as I take it all in. Take in the words, the images.
The patterns were like stimulants to my brain. I read the stars and receive an image in my mind rather than getting sentences. Oh, this was a whole other way of communication. I couldn't help the giddy rush as I let out a small laugh. I take in a deep breath, closing my eyes.

This was it. This is what I was born for. The stars sing to me in agreement, glimmering. I had never felt so complete before in my life. All of my eighteen years... was for this. I am the Preserver of The Night Throne. I am the Lady of Starlight.
I am Astraea.