♛ | Chapter 8 - "dark and early for astraea"

He was a remarkably large man. Broad shoulders, tall figure. He seemed to swallow the room up. As my eyes finally fall onto his sculpted face, I recognise the sharp features instantly.
Staring back at me was the older version of Orion; his father.

The resemblance was uncanny, the only difference being their eye colours. The older man has stark blue eyes, while his son has the darkest brown imaginable.

I tear my eyes away from the King as Gray hastily stands up, lowering into a bow. It was a startling sight to have my best friend bowing as a sign of respect rather than mockery. Instinctively, I stand up as well, feeling the raw power emanating from the man. I go to bow as well but Orion's cold voice halts my movement.
"I'm glad you've decided to join us, father," He drawls, remaining seated and casually resting his cheek onto his palm.

Cool. Casual. Calculated.

His father turns his attention to him and to my surprise, he grins. The action makes him look much younger and youthful, his laugh lines only adding to his appeal. "Orion, my favourite son!" He cheers, striding towards us.
"I'm your only son," said son retorts.
The King let's out a jovial laugh, reaching us at the table and patting Orion on the shoulder affectionately. "Still my favourite."

"What have I told you about bowing, Night Weaver?" He asks, turning all of our attention to Gray. The Night Weaver. There was that title again. I make a mental note to ask Gray about it later.
My best friend stands upright, offering Orion's father a sheepish smile. The King then decides to turn to me, showing me his pearly whites. "Our Lady Starlight. Finally where she should be."

"Lady Starlight?" I question, not being able to stop myself.
"Oh, hasn't my son informed you about the honouring title yet?" He shakes his head at Orion.
I glance at the pain in my ass before shaking my own head, no.
"We certainly need to remedy this problem. Lady Starlight is the title given to The Night Throne's Preserver. Quite the title, I tell you," he explains before adding, "you have been informed about Preservers, yes?"

"Yes." Barely five minutes ago.

He nods in approval, shooting us all an approving smile. "Well, let us sit." And we all do. Gray moves a seat down on his side of the table to let The King sit beside his son while I sit in my previous seat. Orion doesn't move an inch.
"How have you been, Astraea?" The ruler of The Night Throne asks, looking at me. That darn name again. I open my mouth to politely correct him but again, Orion halts my movements. "We haven't gotten to her name yet,"

I blink. What?

The King sighs somewhat dramatically. "Boy, have you told her anything?" He asks Orion.
"I haven't gotten there yet," Stick repeats.
I couldn't hold my tongue anymore. "What about my name?"
They all turn to me, even the strangely muted Gray. I'm sure crickets could be heard for a few seconds before The King breaks the obnoxious silence. "Your name isn't Mary-"
"Maria," Orion corrects.

His father waves him off. "Yes yes, Maria. Your parents gave you the name Astraea. It was essential we changed your name because the pesky sun dried mages knew it. I let Seraphina choose the new name."
It took me a second to figure out who the pesky sun dried mages were; The Day Throne.

My name was not Maria. Astraea. That's what my parents gave me. My real parents. Astraea? What an odd name.

"I believe the name means star in the Greek language," The King says, getting up gracefully from his seat. "A quite fitting name if you ask me."
"Leaving already, father?" Orion asks, finally looking up from the table.
His father tucks the chair in, standing behind it. "I've got things to do and so do the rest of you. Gray, you're coming with me and as for you two," he says, turning to Orion and I, flashing me a smile. "Well, I'm sure getting out of this stuffy Throne could do you some good. Go shopping. What do girls do these days?"
"Shopping is good," I respond, not knowing how else to with his eyes staring into my very soul.