♛ | Chapter 20 - "stick man gifting with sticks"

"Gray was harassing me yesterday."

Orion's eyes then zoom onto the all mighty Night Weaver and I hold in my snicker. And he said I wouldn't tell my mate. "Is that so?" Orion says, his voice as cold as ever, making this so much more enjoyable. My best friend sends me a glare before returning his attention to his Prince. "I was not harassing Strae," he says in his defense.
"Are you calling your future queen a liar?" Orion questions and I cross my arms for dramatic effect, restraining from sticking my tongue out.

"Maybe I a-" Before Gray can finish his sentence, his chair is abruptly pulled back and as a result, The Night Weaver topples onto the floor without grace. I instantly see the quickly receding shadows that has me bursting out with laughter. So my mate has a sense of humour. Gray scowls as he stands and this only makes me clutch my stomach.

"Good to see my Preserver is enjoying herself."

My eyes shoot up to the entrance of the dining hall, spotting King Elias. My laughter subsides as I sit up straighter in my seat. I greet his smile with one of my own, "I am." I avoid looking at Gray because I knew if I did, I would only start laughing again. "Have a seat, father. We have some things to discuss," Orion nods to an empty seat and I remind myself that the King was my father-in-law and he had no idea. Yet anyway.
"If it's about the constant attacks from the Day Throne, I am aware of it," The King says as he sits across from me and to Orion's left.

My eyebrows rise at this. You learn something new everyday.
"I have found my mate," Orion says instead and my heart beat spikes. This feels like a 'meet the parents for the first time' moment. I meet Gray's eyes from across the table. He was thankfully back in his seat now. He sends me a small nod. Everything will be fine.
"That's great, son! Who is she?" The King's smile makes his eyes crinkle at the sides.
"Astraea," my mate says, turning to look at me and I offer him a smile, hoping it doesn't look as awkward as it feels. The King's eyes widen in surprise but his smile only widens as he looks at me. "The Preserver? Our very own Lady of Starlight?" he all but cheers. "I suppose my son only deserves the best."

My heart warms and my muscles relax, no longer stiff. "Welcome to the family, dear," The King says.
"Thank you," I murmur, my cheeks hurting with how much I've been laughing and smiling.
"We'll be leaving for the cabins soon," Orion tells his father and my eyes stray over to Gray's chair. The mage looks bored out of his brains. I wasn't surprised.
"Of course, of course. Do you need any help with the preparations?" The King asks.
Orion shakes his head, no. "I can handle it."

"Well I best be on my way. I only came to check up on you all," he stands. "Congratulations again to the both of you."
"Thank you," I respond and my mate nods in thanks. King Elias then stops by Gray and he sits up straight in his seat as we all look at him. "Magda Rose will be arriving in a few hours. Good luck with the training," he lightly pats Gray's shoulder and my best friend nods. "Thank you, my King."

He leaves as quietly as he had entered and Gray returns to his slouching. "I need some sleep," he all but whines. "You, Straea," he points to me, "are ruining all of our sleep schedules. Stupid humans. Don't you know it's better at night?" He mutters. Because he was my best friend, I roll my eyes, "stop being a baby."
Gray scoffs and gets out of his seat, his own shadows wistfully swirling around his head like a halo. "Well this baby is going to sleep."
Orion and I watch him leave and I chuckle at the drama queen.

"How have the stars been?" My mate asks me and I turn my attention to him.
"I mean, I wish I didn't pass out every time I read them, but other than that they've been fine, I guess," I tell him, shrugging. "Yesterday they told me that the crown was too heavy for the forsaken or whatever. Not quite sure what that means."
He leans back in his chair that sat at the head of the table. "We're going to have to start figuring these out," he says quietly.

I sigh, slouching in my own chair. "That's the plan," I murmur but then I perk up as a thought hits me. "The cabins, huh? A whole week with just me and you," I grin as he meets my gaze.
"A whole week with just you and I," he corrects me and I refrain from rolling my eyes. "Same thing."
He then stands in one swift motion. "I have to finish a few things off in the office. Don't venture off into the forest," he tells me and I'm brought back to my own memories of me trying to run away from here. The forest is safer at night and deadly in the light. My eyes skim over the windows bringing me the sun's rays. My head then follows my mate walk out and I frown.

Alone in the big hall.

The heavy door thuds close and I huff to myself, looking over the empty room before my eyes land on a cloud of shadows. My eyebrows draw together at the small ball of dark mist as it turns into a- I tilt my head to the side. A puppy? The shadows become solid and they turn into a black labrador puppy. The tiny thing yips at me and I can't help but let out a giddy laugh.
"Who's magic dog are you?" I coo, "where did you come from?" The cute puppy just flops its tongue out.
I then notice a black stick next to the sitting dog. There is a note attached to it. "Huh." I pick it up and read the perfect scrawl.

'She is a magic puppy that doesn't need to be fed or given water. She is also yours and yours to name.
A gift from yours truly,
Stick Man.'

♚♔

We have officially hit twenty chapters! Thank you all for reading, my loves.

-riona