thirteen.

girl wonder

girl wonder.
chapter thirteen

THAT night, I discover that the single channel that's available on the TV is showing back to back episodes of Judge Judy. I lean back on the springy, old bed and try to focus, but my mind wanders to everything and anything else. Dick, my powers, Rachel, everything that has happened in Ohio. It's all happening so fast I feel like this is the first time I finally have a chance to think.

My thinking doesn't last long however. My phone lights up with an incoming call from my dad that I answer within a fraction of a second.

"Hey, Dad."

"Hey, Natty. How are you doing?" His voice is like a breath of fresh air and suddenly the bed isn't as lumpy anymore as I relax my shoulders.

"I'm alright. A little overwhelmed, but it's okay. I miss you. Are you surviving without me?"

He chuckles. "I miss you too. I'm doing quite well, actually. I have a date this Saturday."

"No way," I squeal. "I'm gone for a few days and you've found yourself a lady? Who is she?"

"Her name's Imogen. One of my clients. We're just grabbing dinner, it's not a big deal."

"I am so happy for you, Dad. I mean it," I say, smiling so hard it almost hurts. My dad has never really been desperate to find a partner as he's so occupied with work, so it's fitting that he'd find someone through his work.

"All I want is for you to be happy, so hearing you say that gives me a lot of comfort."

There's a light knock at my door. Pulling my phone to my chest, I call out, "come in!"

My heart speeds up when Dick enters the room timidly.

"Bad time?" he mouths once he notices my phone. I shake my head and raise a finger to tell him to wait.

"Dad, I have to go now. Not that you need me anyway, seeing as you have Imogen now," I grin.

"No woman will ever replace you, Natasha. You're my little girl. Always will be."

"Alright, alright, old man, I get it. I love you."

I know he rolls his eyes on the other end. "I love you too. Be careful. You don't need me to tell you."

"Of course. I'll call again soon, okay?" I'm toying with the duvet that I'm sat on.

"You better. Bye, Natty."

"Bye, Dad."

"That was sweet," Dick comments, a light smile on his lips once I hang up the call and put my phone down.

"He means everything to me," I shrug. I pat the spot on the edge of the bed, inviting Dick to sit. "Any reason why you've showed up here?"

"What, you don't appreciate my company?" Dick quips, sitting a little closer to me than I'd expected. Not that I mind.