seventeen.

girl wonder

girl wonder.
chapter seventeen

A new day in Chicago brings us a new problem by the name of Dr. Adamson. There's no doubt in my mind that Rachel is overwhelmed with possibilities of answers she can receive now that he's awake – I find that there's a small amount of curiosity looming in the back of my mind, too. However another part of me causes a pit to form in my stomach at the thought of the unknown. None of us know this man's true intentions, or why he has such a deep obsession with Rachel, which is why when she insists on speaking to him, alone at that, Dick rapidly shoots her idea down.

"I don't think that's a good idea," he tells her. He's the only one of us five that's not sitting still. Instead he's pacing back and forth with his hands stuffed in his pockets, a habit I'd noticed he turns to quite often.

"Why? 'Cause I can't take care of myself?" Rachel argues.

"That's not the point."

"I need to find out who he is. Why he's chasing me."

"I don't trust him."

"What's not to trust? The man's tied up," Kory suddenly interjects, looking up from her nails as she lounges comfortably on the dining table. "One word from Rachel and I'll walk in and put my foot through his face."

I nod in agreement.

"Dick, please," Rachel begs, staring at him with a hard, pleading look.

He pauses for a moment, shoulders slumping as he sighs. "Five minutes."

Rachel nods gratefully. Her voice is just above a whisper when she thanks him.

"Rachel, wait," I say, laying a hand on her arm gently. "Remember, if he tries to harm you in any way, we'll be right here."

Her eyes turn soft and a small smile grows on her face. She nods before turning around and disappearing to the bathroom.

I turn to Dick, whose face is riddled with concern.

"She'll be fine," I assure him, looking him in the eyes. "She's strong."

"I know," he replies, but there's little confidence in his voice.

For the next few moments, the four of us sit in silence, each wrapped up in thought, anxiously anticipating something. None of us know what it is.

The entire room is eerily silent and I become aware of the sound of my heartbeat until – a scream.

"Rachel," I gasp. Dick, Kory and Gar wear identical faces of terror and I take off in a sprint towards the bathroom.