twenty seven.

girl wonder

girl wonder.
chapter twenty seven

THE darkness creeps away. It's ever so slow, and it never disappears completely. It lingers over me.

I try to look around. It doesn't work. I try to scream. It doesn't work. That's when I realise that something's not right. I'm trapped in a body I don't know.

Rachel and Gar appear in front of me. I want to reach out and hold them in my arms and never let go so that they're never in danger again. But it doesn't work.

"Your children. Aren't they beautiful?" A familiar voice comes from behind me. It's Angela. The traitor. I ache to turn around and condemn her for deceiving Rachel, but yet again my feet are stuck in place.

Then another voice speaks. This time, it's unfamiliar, but I have not a single doubt in my mind about who it is.

"I have only one child. And to her, I would give the world."

Trigon steps forward towards his daughter. She stares at him with a mix of daggers and tears.

"Don't fight it, Rachel." Dick enters the room. I have no strength to even try to run to him. His eyes are void, black veins crawling outwards. Do my eyes look like that? "It's perfectly natural. It's who they are. It's who we all are inside."

No. It's not. I'm pushing against the walls of my mind in an effort to escape, but all it does is bring me an aching pain.

"Don't listen to him. That's not them," Gar assures Rachel with certainty in his tone. "They're still in there."

You're right, Gar.

"No," Trigon shakes his head. There's an amused grin on his face. He turns slightly. "Cue the final betrayal. You know what to do."

The words ring out in my head, echoing there. I'm walking forward wordlessly despite my fighting against it. Part of my mind, the stronger part, is hungry to kill.

I'm closing in on Gar and Rachel, but my focus is only on Gar, who begs helplessly. After just a few seconds, he's on the ground, covered with blood. Jason, Donna and I take turns landing kicks to his stomach. Hank and Dawn are ruthless with their strikes to his face. Kory holds Rachel back and Dick stands there, watching us with a cruel grin.

Eventually I take a step back along with the others, and Dick comes forward. He bends down to a whimpering, trembling Gar and brings him to his feet carefully. Dick stares at him and for a moment, a tiny, hopeful smile takes over Rachel's face.

It doesn't last long though. Dick grabs Gar's neck, raising him into the air for a few seconds before tossing him into a book case, leaving him lifeless on the floor.

Rachel stands there, hopelessly sobbing, staring at her father in utter despair and betrayal. Then, she breathes in and shrieks with so much power that all of the glass in the house shatters.