twenty one.

girl wonder

girl wonder.
chapter twenty one

IT'S not long before the towering skyscrapers of Chicago are but specks in the distance and Dick and I are in the quaint suburbs.

Dick leads me down a quiet street, suddenly stopping in front of a door. He pauses, his face troubled as he contemplates something, whether it's what to say or whether he should even knock at all.

With a sigh, he taps his knuckle on the door. I'm not sure who to expect. At all. So when a young woman emerges, I'm struck by her raven hair which is stark against her pale skin and her golden eyes that are filled with surprise.

"I quit," Dick tells her before she can even muster up a greeting.

The woman's lips immediately stretch into a smile, as if she's been waiting for those words to come out of his mouth.

"Great to see you too," she quips. "I'm late." She barges past Dick and I, scurrying down the path before turning around. "You coming or not?"

After Dick introduces us to one another, I trail behind them a little, giving them space to catch up.

"I thought you already quit Batman," Donna says.

"Not Batman this time. Robin."

"Okay... What happened?"

"I couldn't get a handle on the violence. It was getting worse."

"That's hard to imagine."

"I know. I went cold turkey. Burned the suit."

Donna's face drops. "Wow. That's dramatic. Mine's in the closet. Those things are expensive."

"So, how did you do it?"

"Do what?" Donna asks.

"Quit."

"I didn't quit," she corrects him. "I just... stopped."

"How is that different?"

"You'll figure it out. Really. The hardest part is that it just takes time."

Dick nods, considering her words for a moment. When he turns back to look at me, I send him a reassuring smile. "You mind if we hang at your place for a while?"

"Stay as long as you need," Donna insists, pausing and coming to a halt in front of an alleyway. "As long as you've still got game."

Next of all, she takes off in a sprint, hopping onto the front of a parked van and soaring several feet high before landing on the other side.

My jaw hangs as I watch and when I realise that she's an Amazon just like me, I let out a gasp. "Do you think I can do that?"

I don't wait for Dick's response. Before he knows it, I push myself off of the ground and launch myself into the air, copying Donna. The ground sways a little after my feet land.