sixteen.

girl wonder

girl wonder.
chapter sixteen

ONCE Dick and Jason are gone, Kory, Rachel and Gar are crowded on the couch in front of the ridiculously large TV, watching Game of Thrones (which was clearly Rachel's idea).

"I don't know about you three, but I've been longing for a shopping spree and a change of clothes. What do you guys say?" I suggest. None of them tear their eyes from the screen as Daenerys monologues about killing slave masters.

"Come watch," Rachel beckons, ignoring my proposal.

"I've watched it twice over already. I don't need that sort of emotional torture a third time," I say with an edge to my tone. "I'll let you guys get anything you want."

"Anything?" Gar quirks an eyebrow.

I give him a definite look. He and Rachel share a glance before hopping up to their feet and racing towards the elevator.

Kory heaves a sigh and stands reluctantly, strutting over to me.

"You know there's a bad guy who wants to kidnap Rachel that we have to keep an eye on, right?" she argues, cocking her head slightly.

"He's drugged, unconscious and restrained. I doubt we have to worry about him," I assure her, narrowing my eyes. "Unless you'd like to stay here with him."

Kory clenches her jaw. "I'd rather not."

I smile triumphantly.

Within twenty minutes, we reach a mall which is filled with mostly high-end stores. I'm beaming as I stare at the famous names: Burberry, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Steve Madden, Jimmy Choo...

"Nat," Rachel calls. "You're drooling."

I let out a giggle. "Sorry." After a quick glance around, I spot an ATM machine and make my way towards it, withdrawing some bills before turning to the kids.

"Here's three hundred dollars each," I say, watching their eyes grow. It's one of the perks of only living with someone who has a decent-paying job too. I don't have to worry about Dad, and Dad doesn't have to worry about me. Before Rachel and Gar can reach the money, I snatch it away. "Use it wisely."

They nod their heads furiously. Finally, I hand them the bills and they sprint out of sight.

When I turn to Kory, she eyes me with an eyebrow quirked.

"Do you want to go with them?"

"I'm waiting for you, princess," she says, crossing her arms.

"Princess?" I scoff over-dramatically. "Coming from the woman wearing a fur coat and a sparkling lilac pantsuit, both of which are exquisite, by the way, but that's besides the point."

Kory bursts into a chuckle, and I can't help but mirror her in order to hide the blood that's rushed to my face.

"Let's go to Nordstrom," I say eventually.