nineteen.

girl wonder

girl wonder.
chapter nineteen

I gasp in relief, gazing at Dick as he regains enough strength to grin at Rachel.

"Come here," I whisper, swinging his arm over my head and tugging him to his feet. He stumbles a little as I lead him out of the cell, but I effortlessly keep him on his feet, allowing him to lean his entire body weight on me. "I've got you."

By the time we arrive at the surgical theatre where Kory's being held, Dick has regained enough strength to be able to burst through the door where dozens of eyes settle on us.

"Keep your eye on the door," he yells at no one in particular. All I know to do is charge for the one surgeon while Dick takes care of another, then I'm swiftly at Kory's side, freeing her of her restraints within seconds.

"Kory," Rachel calls, examining her. "What's the tube?"

Tubes protrude from Kory's mouth, causing her cries of help to morph into muffled groaning.

"They intubated her," Gar says. "I know how to take it out, but this is gonna hurt."

Kory nods aggressively, urging him to fiddle with the contraption before dragging a smaller, albeit long, plastic tube out of her throat.

"Hey, look at me," Rachel urges softly, nodding her head assuringly until finally Kory bolts upright, heaving for air.

"Kory, just relax. The spasms will stop if you relax," Gar tells her.

She looks at him with fire in her eyes. "You relax."

"You okay?" Dick asks her.

"Fuck no." She climbs off of the surgery table, her legs too weak for a moment before she finds her strength and leans against Dick.

"Mom, can you get us out of here?" Rachel looks to Angela, who simply nods and turns.

We're scurrying after her with no objective other than to get the fuck out of there. I don't care if there are guards or doctors or what have you. In this moment, nothing could possibly stand in our way.

That's why when a pair of guards stops a couple of yards from us down the corridor, I narrow my eyes.

"There they are," one of them says. "Alright, you just stay right where you are."

Rachel sends Dick a pleading look, retreating behind him.

"I got this," he announces, beginning to step forward.

I put an arm in front of him to stop him.

"No, I do."

I look up at him with certainty and for a moment he hesitates, but then he gives me a knowing look and stands back.

As I march towards the pair, I reach up to tighten my ponytail, take my shield into my hand and hurl it at one guard's abdomen. The other sprints towards me and throws a punch that I catch. I tug him behind me and toss him over my head.