Chapter twenty-eight

This chapter is disappointingly short. However, this is the last chapter. I plan on coming back to this someday and making it all better, but for now, this is it. I let myself go way too long between chapters, so I don't have a clear idea of where I was going anymore. Sorry. Feel free to tell me what I left out. I need to go back and reread everything.

My dreams were surreal.

They were of Mikko's life, parts of his life, jumping around without any real flow. Mikko's life as a human had been short, in comparison to his life as a werewolf.

My flash of his first wife had me seeing a completely different Mikko and the frightening craze that ensued after he lost her. Then to Marshall and the unfortunate event of killing his son. Then into my bedroom, with the angry she-wolf who he ordered to play along with his rouse until I believed he was planning on sleeping with her in my bed. His terror when the triplets were born. His fury when his newest son was born.

When I was fully awake, I knew Mikko was a creature who was rightfully feared. But I knew Mikko would never do anything to hurt me or his children.

He would die first.

I glanced over at the empty bassinet and knew it was too early for the triplets to be awake. That, and the house was way too quiet for the triplets to be awake.

I knew Mikko wouldn't have gone far. I could hear that he was pacing. So I decided to leave the comfort of the bed to go to him before he burned a hole into the flooring.

"Good morning," he said gently as soon as I turned the corner. He was holding the sleeping baby, not taking his eyes off of him. "What do you think?"

I knew it was killing him. I could feel the angst and uncertainty through the ethereal bond we now shared, which felt completely open. I knew he could just search inside the bond for the answer, but he was holding back.

He was afraid.

"I think you've had a very complicated life."

His eyes then left the baby and met mine. "That's all?"

I stepped closer to him and kissed the side of my child's head. "There are a lot of things that have happened and I can empathize with some of them. It makes your decision making more understandable to me." I looked him in his eyes. "You will never lie to me, or try to keep things from me in order to protect me."

He chewed on that for a moment before nodded. "It won't be easy for me."

I shook my head. "I expect not." I turned towards the kitchen.

"So you're not leaving? Now that you know."

I stopped mid step and looked back at him. "You don't have to fear that I would take your children away from you Mikko. You can access the bond as freely as you feel me accessing it."

It was still very early in the morning, but I needed something to eat now that my metabolism was very high.

He followed me into the kitchen, still holding the baby. "You're not scared of me, now that you know what I'm capable of?"

I looked over at him and ran my eyes up and down his body, taking him in completely. "I should be," I looked into the fridge as I opened it, "but I'm not. I don't think you'd ever be able to turn all that rage on me or the kids. I also don't think you'd betray me, knowing what it would mean."

Mikko was now my mate. It was different now. I knew that he wouldn't do anything to betray my trust. By no means did it mean we were starting over. It just meant that we had something to work with. I knew that being mates had turned off any type of attraction for anyone else, and I'm sure that's what it had done to Mikko as well.

This relationship wasn't going to be easy, but I could see the truth now. Raising four children was going to be hard, but we could do it together.

Through everything, I knew, I could handle whatever life threw at me, one day at a time.