Chapter Fourteen - unedited

Thank you ShyDoll97 for the picture!

The next few days were quiet.

Were.

Until Mikko came home pissed.

A small part of me wanted to roll my eyes at him. My family was going home today. With what went down with the packs, Finn wanted to ensure that the pack was gone before he sent off a few of his pack members.

Even if they knew JJ, Finn wasn't going to risk some of his wolves, especially when they were important to me and I was pregnant.

Nikki looked over at me warily. "Should we stay a few more hours?"

I shook my head. They were just stopping by on their way out to say goodbye before going back home.

I shook my head. "I'm sure it's just a passing thing. He'll get over it."

Nikki, Mike and Dad took turn trading kids for kisses and hugs goodbye. They wouldn't be gone long. They never were. I actually hoped that the day would come that they could transfer here and stay with us forever, but I had to get through my change before that would happen.

"Take care of yourself, Mama," Nikki said as she rubbed the belly after giving me a hug.

I nodded. "Of course."

Mike gave me a quick hug. "What she said." He wasn't mushy like Nikki and I were. I was surprised when he gave me the hug. I couldn't help but smile at it. Mike never really got close to anyone besides Nikki, though I had noticed a weird friendship between him and Philip.

Dad gave me a long squeeze. "Love you."

I hugged him back with the effort to hug him back just as hard. "Love you too old man."

He kissed my cheek, then they were gone.

The kids went down for a nap at the perfect time because I needed to find out what the commotion was with Mikko.

He was in his study looking at his computer screen and putting in real effort not to break the mouse as he moved it around.

"What's up with you?" I asked gently as I walked over. I knew how to tread lightly. I was going to make the effort to not be snippy.

Mikko looked up at me and took a deep breath. "Finn wants me to leave for a while."

I sat down on the armchair facing his desk. "Another job?"

He nodded. "My job is never ending."

I wasn't surprised. He always left.

"I told him I wasn't going." Mikko looked back at his screen.

That was surprising. "And what did he say to you turning him down?"

Mikko shrugged. "I'm not sure. I left before he could summon me back."