This Was A Bad Idea

"NO!"

"Yes,"

"NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! A THOUSAND TIMES NO!" Terrance screamed, flapping his arms.

"My God Terrance, you're looking like a demented chicken." Ingrid muttered.

"I don't care!" He continued. "I am NOT, I repeat, NOT stealing the bloody-" Ingrid slapped a hand across his mouth.

"Shhhhh!" She hissed. "Just listen to me!"

"Actually," Terrance said, his voice muffled, "let me talk you through this rationally."
Ingrid slowly removed her hand.

"Ok," Terrance began. "Apart from the fact that we don't even have the keys to the actual thing-"

"He left them on the computer," Ingrid interrupted.

"Oh. Not much a of a detective," muttered Terrance. "Well, let me put it to you this way. What if the Justice League helps us?"

"Terrance, we know what's gonna happen," Ingrid explained. "There's not chance they're ever gonna let us go."

"Well then," Terrance said, frustrated. "Do we really want to be making an enemy of the Justice League?"

"Are they gonna waste their time chasing down two nutter kids?" Ingrid pointed out. "I don't think that anyone actually believes we're real. Maybe they'll just put Batman to bed, and say he's ill."

"Mmm," Terrance was still skeptical.

"C'mon Terrance," Ingrid urged. "This is the only chance we'll get to shame Batman."

"Alright," Terrance said heavily. "Let's steal the stupid Batmobile."

Ingrid looked around, before non conspicuously dragging Terrance back down to the cave. To their luck, Robin was just leaving.

"I'm just getting something," he called out. "Stay there!"

"Sure!" Terrance yelled back, although his hand was shaking.

After he was gone, Ingrid snatched the keys from the dashboard, and climbed into the driver's seat.

"You know how to drive right?" Terrance panted, as he slid into the passengers seat.
"Duh," Ingrid deadpanned, as she started the car up. The Batmobile gave a roar, which caused Terrance to shriek, before Ingrid pressed on the accelerator, and they zoomed out.

"The doors, the doors!" Terrance screamed, motioning frantically to the closed four inch shutters. To his surprise, they opened.

"When the car starts, they automatically open," Ingrid informed him, as they raced out of the cave. 

"How... Expensive," Terrance settled for, making a face. Ingrid pulled the gear stick, and the car jolted into fourth. Silence reigned, for once both of them were too worried to talk. The full consequences of their actions was hitting them full force now, and the fact that there was no way to get home, wasn't helping.

Like, at all.

Terrance slid down in his seat, and let out a yawn. "So... Where are we gonna go?"

"Dunno," Ingrid replied, keeping her eyes on the road. "Should we go on the motorway?"

"In the Batmobile?" Terrance answered. "Pfffff, great idea."

"Good point," Ingrid agreed, indicating right, then turning left. Terrance huffed at her bad driving skills.

"What do we do?" He asked himself, a little upset. "I haven't felt this low in ages. What if we never get back?"

"Terrance, it's my job to be the pessimist," Ingrid said sharply.

"It's almost morning," Terrance pointed out. "We've been gone a whole day." He slumped. "Maybe this is all an elaborate dream."

"Perhaps," Ingrid said, stopping at a traffic light.

"I don't feel so good," Terrance mumbled, tossing in his seat. "I want to go to sleep."

"Then go to sleep, nitwit," Ingrid snapped. Terrance huffed, and closed his eyes. Within a minute, he was snoring. Ingrid was actually pretty tired herself, but she knew she needed to keep driving. She didn't actually know where to go, and was slightly concerned about it.

Now would be a good time to die.

"Don't think about that," Ingrid instructed herself. She stepped on the gas, breaking the speed limit. Terrance jolted, but didn't wake up. Another fifteen minutes, and Ingrid was beginning to wander towards the fatal charm of sleep. She was tired, there was no denying it.

She pulled over, and parked next a small shop. She turned the car off, and laid her head back.

Just five minutes. What could go wrong? She closed her eyes, and let herself relax. Then, a strange sensation came over her. She opened her eyes again, as if she could feel someone's eyes burning into the back of her head. Ingrid sat up, alert and wary. She looked gingerly out of the window.

Nothing. Maybe she was just feeling it. Still uneasy, she tried to turn over, whilst staring out of the front windscreen. A little away from the car, there was a cemetery. Ah, that was why she was feeling weird. She raised an eyebrow, staring at the unhinged gates, that were swaying in the wind.

Wouldn't it be nice if you were there too, burried and peaceful?

Ingrid shook her head, and tried to get her thoughts away from death.

Wouldn't it be nice?

She kept watching the gates. Creak, creak. No thunder, no lightening, not like a cliche horror movie. But it was definitely at edgy atmosphere.

Her heart thumped. She checked her watch, three am. She looked back up. And that's when she saw it.

A letter, stuck to the gates of the cemetery. She froze, sick rising in her throat. But her curious nature overcame her, and she left the car. She approached the letter, and carefully plucked it off the rusty bars.

Then her eyes widened, as she saw it was addressed to 'Ingrid Deck'. Hands shaking with nerves, she unwrapped the latter, and read it.

We know who you are. We are watching. We are waiting.
But if you turn around, you'll see we've already struck.
The Watchers

Ingrid let go of the letter, and it drifted into the wind. Turn around? What did they mean-
Her whole train of thought halted, as she came to the worst conclusion. She spun around, scared of what she would see, and her fears were confirmed.

Terrance was not in the car.

Terrance was gone.