Part Three*

Bilkisu and I just came back from the restaurant.
I park in front of their house.

"So I'll come see you tomorrow?" I ask her.
"It can't be tomorrow, unfortunately"

"Why not?"
"Because we have a wedding"

"Okay that's cool. Then I'll call you later"
"Alright, bye babe"
"Bye".

She walks out.

Immediately I park the car Nasir one of baba's escorts walks over to me.
"Immediately he came out of the car he told me to tell you to come see him the moment you're back"

"About what?"
"Who knows? Something important maybe"

"Alright" I answer back.

I put my keys in my pocket and walk straight to his living room where I saw him seated, shaking his leg the way he usually does when he's pissed off.

"Baba, you asked for me" I say to him but he ignores me.
"Baba?"

He still doesn't say a word.
"Did something happen?"
"Yes of course something happened. Why were you with that girl?"
"Which girl baba?"

"Don't play dumb with me Abubakar, the girl whose mother is always here looking for one thing or the other from your mother"

"We just went out. Did Nasir tell you?"
"Nasir didn't have to, I saw it. Today I didn't go out with my entourage and thank god I didn't. I don't want to see you with that girl. You came back with a first class but you're still stupid and you don't think things through. You aren't a child anymore".

"Okay baba".
"Speaking of girls. I wanted to talk to you about Gen.Tafida's daughter".
"Okay".

"I am getting you two married".
"What? But baba I'm not ready. I'm just 23 and I just graduated from law school a month back".

"Yes I am aware".
"But baba she's also young I don't think she is ready".

"She is. I married your mother at 17 and I was 22 so what you are saying are just excuses".
"But baba...."
"There's no point saying anything"

"But I need to get to know her first".
"Yes that is why you are going to go take a bath, wear something nice and simple because I told them you'll be there by 4pm".

"Okay" I walk out not saying anymore.

How could I get married at 23? I don't have a job or a well executed plan for my future and he's talking about marriage? This is never going to stop. Never.

::

I was seated in the living room in the main house watching with Fawaz and Hanan (My 24 year old cousin) when Mami (Fawaz 's mother) comes in and sits between him and I.

"So I heard you are getting married to Fauziyya Tafida. Was that your plan or your father's?"
"Obviously his".
"Well he is pissed off that you didn't go and meet the girl like he wanted you to on Friday" she says playing with her sons curly hair and the boy just kept smiling.

"I had things to attend to that's why".
"Have they set a date yet?" Hanan asks.

"Well it's not like it's my decision anyway".
"If it was would you want it sooner or later?" She asks again.

"If it was, I wouldn't be in this house"
"Then if that is the case you should leave now because I heard him trying to set another date for you to meet the girl" Mami tells me.
"Seriously?"
"Wallahi I heard him discussing it with her father"

I quickly get up and run to my room, picked up my car keys and left.
I didn't think twice because I was wearing my dark blue shirt, my black three quarter jeans and my flats.

Immediately I enter his living room I fall on the couch.
"Kai! What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you, it's been a Long time".
"Yeah I haven't seen you since you left"

"I have been busy".
"Indeed" He says sarcastically.

Yahya is one of my closest friends, he's a year older than I am and luckily for him his parents are great. They even let him rent a house since he turned 22.
"So I heard you came back with a first class, congratulations brother"
"Doesn't change the fact that I am in hell"

"You have always been a drama king".
"Oh really, First of all I am not allowed to go out twice a day because my father's reputation is on the line, I can't be seen with girls because it shows that I am a man whore, I can't date girls not in our social circle that is including my girlfriend and most importantly I'm being forced to marry a girl I don't like".

"Wait YOU are getting married?"
"I know right"

"But you cannot even take care of yourself, how the hell can you take care of a woman. You are almost completely incompetent".

"You don't have to hurt my pride"
He laughs.

"It's not surprising, your father doesn't want us to be friends because my dad is just a manager at a bank remember?"

"He and my mum are extremely irritating"
"Anyway I was about to go buy waina do you want some too?"

"Yaji or miya? (Pepper or sauce)"
"I have yaji here at home but Miya".

"Yeah get some for me too"
"Okay give me your keys since you blocked my car. I'll go with yours" I throw at him.
He turns and leaves while I get comfortable looking at the ceiling.

::

I know I can't hide from it forever. I spent the night at Yahya's house yesterday but I know today I will have to face everything whether I like it or not.
I went to the main parlor and saw Mami seated watching with Kaka.
"You have finally returned" she says smiling.

"I know I would eventually come back that's why"
"So whose place did you go to? Yahya? Garba? Mukhtar? Or Muntari?" She asks.

"Yahya" I say back sitting beside Kaka.
"I can't do anything about this one, okay? Because your father was also forced to marry your mother"

"I understand but he wasn't married this early".
She gets up and leaves.

"She's just annoyed she can't do a thing about it".
"I understand" I say back smiling to hide my inner sadness.

"So can you escort me to the market? The driver left with your mom".
"Yeah sure let me change".

All done...