Part Fifteen*

We walk in and I smile. Typical Abdul, he always wants things that are flashy and over the top but this hall looks like it took years to prepare mainly because I think there are about 200 different color of lights here. But all in all it's nice.

I turn to look at Fauziyya who was wearing a blue fitted gown, she looked amazing.

"So where do I sit?" She asks me.
"Beside me of course"
"I can't sit between guys"
"I asked him to put me on the same table with his brothers, they're married"

"Okay that's better"

I look around and spot Amira his twin sister.
"Amira!" I call her and he walks to me.

"I thought you wouldn't come"
"Abdul would strangle me" I say and she laughs.
"This is my wife Fauziyya, can you please show her the table?"

"Nice to meet you, Amirah" Fauziyya says.
"You too. And don't worry I'll take care of her while you're with the groom"

Amirah tells me and walks away with Fauziyya who looked so nervous.

After all the groom's friend duties and the couple were seated I went to seat next to Fauziyya.
   "You're done?" She asks and I nod.
Then she raises her phone and starts taking pictures. After a few pictures alone she moved it to take both of us pictures. She took the pictures with several snap chat filters until she got tired and gave me the phone. I was about to take the picture when Garba comes and sits beside her.

"Hey y'all "
"Garba When did you arrive?" I ask him.

"About an hour ago but I was busy preparing things with his momma" he says back.

"Alright" I say and raise the phone to take more pictures but this time I use my phone.
"Why aren't I in the picture?" He asks.

"Okay come closer" Fauziyya tells him and he draws his chair closer, we took the pictures and examined them.

"Garba you're gotten fairer" Fauziyya says. She knows how to mingle with people unlike me.

"Yeah I know, I'm gorgeous"
She rolls her eyes.

She and I exchange sit so I could discuss somethings with Garba. She sat there chatting or whatever. Then her phone rings. I wasn't someone who eavesdrops so I didn't bother to hear what she said until..

Umar? Where?
I can't see you.

Where?
Oh yeah, I can see you.
Just come over.

Yeah it's just Abbakar and Garba.
I'm telling you it's not Farouq.
Okay.

She hangs up. I'm going to strangle that bastard if he tries to ruin a thing.
He walks over and sits beside Fauziyya who is still typing stuff.

"I didn't know you were coming" Garba says to him.
"I came with my mum, she's friends with his mum, you?"

"Friends" I say back.
"And her?" He asks pointing at my wife who was still chatting and smiling.
"She's the wife of a friend (taking about himself)" I say to him, but definitely with a serious tone.
"Oh" he says.

Garba and I continue talking. Suddenly he taps me and raises his head at Fauziyya. I turn and see her and Umar looking at something on her phone and laughing.

"So?" I ask him.
"So? You are stupid"

"What's wrong?"
"Your wife is happily conversing with another man when her husband is right next to her. Right now they look like they are the couple"

"But they're not, are they?"
"But they were".

"Wait, what?"
"Yeah. She and Umar dated when she was in her first year"

"First year? That was last year"
"I know I wanted it to seem longer that way"
I smile.
"But if she was single when we met and they started dating last year their relationship didn't last"

"Oh lord! She has been dating him way before she graduated from secondary school".

"I know you are exaggerating that too"
"Yeah I was but she was in SS2. The only reason she broke up with him was because her dad told her she wouldn't marry someone of her choosing. So she broke up with him instead of leading him on".

"How do you know?"
"Seriously? Have you forgotten how my dad and your dad are friends? Because her dad is second cousins with mine"
     "Oh that's true".

Wait! It's really true!
I have found my snitch, he's the one feeding her all my info.

I completely forgot they are related.
And it's not surprising because he has been trying to get us together.
Maybe baba made him do it or her dad.

He continues talking but I just sit there looking at him. It's moments like this that I adore Faisal. He would never push you, he'll talk to you twice, thrice and he's done as far as he is concerned he did his best. But Garba always wants to fix things, he meddles in things that have nothing to do with him, maybe that's why she suddenly changed.

The wedding ended but because I have Fauziyya I came up with an excuse to go home instead of following the grooms friends to his house. I don't know how but Garba was off the hook too.

I came out before Fauziyya and the guys so now I was waiting for them outside by the car.
"That was #couplegoals"

I raise my head and saw Bilkisu. She added more weight and she looks better. Way better than before.

"What?" I ask unable to process what she said.
"You and your wife. I saw you two taking pictures, definitely couple goals"

I smile awkwardly.
"Ka ciko (you've added weight) you look good, I can tell you're enjoying married life and all it's perks".

"It has been easy but I have to admit I thought it could be harsh"
"Unfortunately I wouldn't know since I am not married yet"

"I'll pray for you"
"After you pray for your wife, and pray for your children and grandchildren, your parents, your success then maybe I can pop there"

I didn't know what to say.
"I want to be someone's first priority, at least just once"

"I'm sorry if what I said was inappropriate"
"No! I wasn't trying to make you feel bad, it just slipped of " she smiles.

Suddenly I see Garba walking with Umar and Fauziyya behind him.
They were all smiling. I bet she enjoyed herself today.

"I should go" she walks away before I could say a word.

My wife and friend were standing in front of me cracking jokes but apparently Umar left. Something is up with that guy not just because he dated Fauziyya but something was really off about him.

"Fauziyya wait for me in the car I want to talk to Garba" she nods and gets in.

We move a little so she can't hear our conversation.

"What?" He asks
"So you have been telling Fauziyya what to do?"

"What?"
"Where you or where you not the one who gave her the idea to redecorate?"

"I was but—"
"—Don't try to explain yourself"

"I'm not trying to explain myself because you don't deserve an explanation. I did it and I would do it again"

"So you chose her over me?"
"She's family, she'll always come first"

"Wow!" I say disbelievingly.
"You know why? Because I should have done something to stop the marriage when you two were getting married but I didn't because I felt you needed someone to put you on track, I didn't think of what you would do. Even if we weren't related I still would have done it because no girl deserves to be treated like garbage when she was forced in the same commitment as you".

I knew Garba, he's very playful but I know when he gets serious and right now he is dead serious.

"Screw you" I say.
"You know with all she did she's still the one I pity" he says and leaves.

What is going on?