(3)

You took a deep breath as you approached Hiccup, your old best friend and current crush. The crush was hopeless, you knew. He was in love with Astrid and you understood. She was everything he liked in a girl. Strong, fierce, a real Viking. You weren't any of those things.

But you were able to forget all of that when Hiccup would be with you. But out of no where, he just stopped talking to you. You wanted to know why.

"Hey Hiccup," you say. He lifts his head from the dirt he's dragging a stick around in.

"____," he smiles. "Where have you been all day?" All day? Where have you been for months, Hiccup? You want to say this, but can't.

"Avoiding Gobber," you say, rolling your eyes. "He wants me to be a real viking 'to make my parents proud'. It won't happen though. I can't do anything right."

"Sure you can!" He says. "You're great in Dragon Training!"

You pause. "Hiccup," you say softly. "I haven't been in Dragon Training in months."

"Oh," he says, avoiding your gaze. "I-I knew that."

He can't even notice when you're gone or when you're here? You feel tired and heavy. Tears spring in your eyes. "Right, okay," you say, looking away. "I think I should go." You turn to march back up the hill towards you house.

"Hey, already?" Hiccup asks.

You turn back to look at him. "Trust me," you force a smile. "You won't even know I'm gone." Your voice cracks a little when you say gone, and so you turn around and march up the hill.

~

In the Great Hall later, you avoid everyone. You sit at an empty table, the farthest one away from Hiccup's. You stab your piece of chicken with a fork over and over again, your stomach feeling uneasy and hollow. You push your plate away and lay your head down on the table.

"H-hey, ___?" Hiccup says softly. You sit up quickly and see him sitting in the seat across from you. "Mind if I sit here?" He asks. His plate is in his hands, still full.

"I-I guess?" You say. He smiles and begins to eat. You keep your eyes away from him. He must feel bad. That's it.

As you continue to ignore his presence, Hiccup feels worse. It's his fault you're like this. Maybe all you need is a little memory of when you two were kids. He picks up his fork and places a piece of chicken on it. He pulls the end of the fork and releases it, so the piece of chicken will hit you.

It hits you right in the face, on your cheek. You jump and look at him, alarmed. He smirks and holds up his fork. You glare at him and pick up yours, quickly flicking a piece of chicken in his hair. He laughs and brushes it away, and you find yourself giggling a little.

He picks up another piece of food and you do as well, and soon enough you're having a food fight just like years before. When you're sure he's going to give up, he picks up another chunk of chicken.

"No, no!" You plead, holding your hands out. "I surrender, I'm done."

Hiccup laughs and puts his fork down. You smile and look down again. You miss the days when it was just you and Hiccup, out all day, holding hands, trusting each other with your secrets and problems...

"I-I," Hiccup begins. You look up and he takes one of your hands from across the table. You stiffen, so tempted to keep it there but knowing you should just pull away. "I'm sorry," he says. "It was wrong of me to leave you like that."

You shrug. "I get it," you say. "Astrid is a lot cooler anyways." You stand to leave, squeezing Hiccup's hand as a goodbye. He stares at you as you walk away.

"W-wait!" He exclaims, running after you. He catches up to you as you walk inside your house. "Wait, ___," he gasps. "What?" You ask, avoiding his gaze. He pushes your halfway shut door open and walks inside, shutting it behind him. "What are you doing?" You demand.

"I'm sorry," he says again. "I'm sorry for leaving you! I'm sorry!" You shake your head and turn to go to your bedroom, but Hiccup blocks your way by placing his hand on the wall. He places his other hand on the other side of you, blocking you in between his arms. "Listen to me for once," he pleads. You look up at him, eyes wide, arms pressed to your sides. "I have never felt worse than the moment you walked away earlier today. I realized then that I had left you completely alone. I-I..." He shakes his head. "I was wrong to leave you. You are my best friend, I should be with you. You're kind and strong and beautiful-" he cuts himself off, blushing. You roll you eyes. "I am not beautiful," you say. "Nor am I strong and ki-"

"Yes you are," he says. "I just... Never noticed until now." He leans in and presses his lips to yours. You freeze, eyes wider than before. He pulls away and smiles at you.

"Uhm," you clear your throat. "I guess I should forgive you now?" Hiccup laughs and moves his hands to your hips, pulling you against him. His lips touch yours again, and this time you move your lips in synch with his.