Chapter One - Part Two

Chapter One: Guardians Of The Sansa'laa - Part Two

King Goodheart remained still a moment, studying the distant lands. His wavy long hair, overdue for a cut, fluttered softly in the breeze under his common-crown. He turned to his guards with a pale, overcast expression. "Where are my forces?" Though his voice was barely a whisper, it echoed in the wind.

Puzzled, Evan regarded his father. There was something else. Someone else. No, he was right the first time, something else. Watching them. He searched the area, scrutinising every bush, shrub, tree and large rock. But he couldn't see what he was looking for.

"Come, my love," Queen Leolea said, taking her husband's arm. "The air cools. We will sup on the hour." She gathered her skirts effortlessly with her other hand.

No. Evan didn't want to go in. Not yet. There was still so much to do. He wanted more time with them all.

The dark castle stood ominously in the distance, sharply pointed trees lining the land like great teeth.

His parents were already a good distance away, their long shadows stretching ahead, as if they were walking into the darkness of themselves.

Evan turned to say something to Reisa.

She was drenched in sweat, tears streaming down her muddied, horrifyingly disfigured face. A thick line of purple bruising shuddered across her neck as her jaw moved with silent screams.

Evan tensed and blinked, stepping back sharply.

Reisa's unreadable smile and dreamy eyes were upon him again.

He stared at her a moment before returning her smile. Did he just imagine what he thought he saw?

"Come, young lord," Willhem said, ushering them towards the castle. Though his throat had been ripped out, his voice was somehow still smooth and controlled.

"Yes, young lord," Nat said dryly, knocking his shoulder into Evan as he stepped past. "You two may have won the spark, but such child's play is beneath me, anyhow. Just you wait for our Missions. The true test of men."

Evan noticed the object in Nat's swinging hand – a rotting crow's head, dripping with thick blood and severed muscle. Somehow, the crow's beady eyes were following Evan. It attracted a dozen insects as Nat walked, but his friend seemed oblivious.

Evan turned to Reisa, but she was not there. He spun around, his heart racing now. She was nowhere to be found.

The sky darkened as Evan realised he was alone.

Something disturbed the air behind him. He turned to see the flash of a glittering object. He continued to turn, trying to identify it, his shoulders tensing. Suddenly the object stopped in front of his face.

Evan's eyes widened at the fully grown Wind Stalker hovering before him. Its long spindly legs wavered in the air, large luminous petal wings fluttering in a mesmerising display. He marvelled at its gleaming scaled underbelly and the golden crown of feathers that shone blindingly and lit the grey world. Blades of grass flicked feverishly under the force of the great entity. Evan's breath caught, the air burning with an intense power.

This was no ordinary Wind Stalker, he knew right away. The holy insects usually took years and years to grow from a spira spark, and were three times smaller than this one, which was larger than a king crow. Its light held a holy power that froze Evan to the core.

He knew what this was now. Ellousellas. The Secret Guardian. Sky Father himself. He who had not shown himself on the mortal plain for millennia.

You should not be here, said a gravelly voice that sounded leagues away, filling the land.