Chapter Four - Part One

Chapter Four: Leap of Faith - Part One 

James stared, uncomprehending, as Sam stepped to the edge of the platform, towards the giant dragon.

"Sam, Sam!" James whispered loudly, waving him back.

Keeping his gaze ahead, Sam raised a palm to James, nodding that it was okay.

A low rumble came from the mouth of the mountain-dragon. It remained still, watching them. The sheer size of it astonished James.

"Look," Sam said, awe softening his voice.

Look at what? James thought. Do you think I'm not looking at the giant dragon in front of us?

James took an apprehensive step closer. Through the heavy mist in the air, he thought he saw shadows move over the creature. No, through the creature. He focused on the breathing mountain, and realised he could see the faint form of the rocky terrain behind it. Stepping back for a wider view, he grasped that they were seeing some form of a... ghost? Whatever this thing was in front of them, it wasn't actually there. James was reminded of a hologram projection, although that couldn't be what they were seeing.

Sam gave a shaky, reassuring nod. The gesture did not ease James. Even if what they were seeing wasn't real, it didn't necessarily mean it couldn't hurt them.

The dragon's emerald eyes seemed to be... looking at James. He couldn't be sure, and it was hard to tell given its immense size and how close he was, but it felt like it was looking directly at him. Like it had come up to see him. It was a disturbing thought, and he tried to shake it, feeling a cold shiver run through him.

"What do you think it is?" James asked, keeping his eyes locked on the dragon.

Before there could be any response – or perhaps as a response - the dragon lifted its head and opened its enormous mouth, releasing a deafening roar that shook the entire cave. James covered his ears and fought against the fierce, suffocating power rushing over them. It felt as though a giant furnace had opened nearby. Chips of rock fell from above, along with a heavy dust that added to the red mist in the air.

Suddenly the wall behind them fell away, as did the rest of the cavern. Rock walls folded back and revealed a world beyond; a fiery landscape of mountainous rock and geysers of flames. Their ledge had become the flat top of a mountain range that looked over the rumbling land. Jagged black mountains smothered the horizon, heavy grey clouds streaming across the tormented sky.

James stepped back as the dragon straightened its body and began unfolding its colossal wings. He caught himself before he reached the edge of the ground, unsure if they were still in the cave or not, and not wanting to risk stepping out into the empty air.

The ghostly dragon rose into the sky, revealing the extent of its enormous body. Its scaled and spiked wings extended to an incredibly long span that seemed to cover the horizon. Its lithe body glided through the air like a slithering snake. It was impossibly large, and looked as though it would have flattened half of Tyken Town if it landed in the city.

Fires spewed from mounds over the tortured landscape. James was reminded of the hellish vision that came to him after he had killed the beggar. But this land felt different. Though they could hear the rumbling earth and the heavy wind, the air hadn't changed. He couldn't feel the heat or smell burning or rotten flesh, like he had in that other fiery world. And the biggest difference of all was that there were no hooded figure watching him, entering his mind.

Darkness fell over the world, bringing with it a heavy silence. For a moment James saw nothing, not even himself. A rumbling followed, cracking rocks coming from beyond the darkness. The dim rock walls and the chasm materialised, like a light slowly illuminating the gloomy area.