- 6 -

MIRA WAS A TROUBLEMAKER

MIRA WAS A TROUBLEMAKER. Not in that fun mischievous way, but actual trouble. Jess had not been this close to the dragon before. But she really didn't have any choice on the matter as she tried to break through the enclosure. Every hand was needed to stop her from burning down the buildings. Yes, they were all fireproof, but nothing was ever a hundred percent fireproof if you had the full-blown attack of a dragon. 

The dragons had plenty of space in their own part of the sanctuary to roam around, nest and fly. All parts were designed for the specific breeds as well to resemble their natural habitat, but Mira was adamant on getting to the humans on the other side of the barrier especially since someone did not close her gate properly after leaving some food for her. 

The loud screeches and roars from the forty feet long dragon echoed through the valley. But something was wrong. Her roars were not those of fear, irritation or anger. It sounded to Jess like she was in pain. 

   "She's in pain!" Jess yelled, trying to be heard over the roaring dragon who was trying to break through the magical barrier. The yellow eyes of Mira suddenly zeroed in on Jess and snapped her giant jaws in the direction of the woman. She was quick to sidestep and avoided losing a limb this time. 

   "Wands up! Stun on three!" Charlie ordered, suddenly appearing on a broom above the dragon who swiped her tail toward another dragon handler on the other side of her. "ONE!" Mira turned her head in Charlie's direction. "TWO!" She raised herself up on her hind legs, spreading her wings. "THREE!"

Nine dragon handlers fired stunning spells at the dragon who fell toward the snow-covered ground in a matter of seconds. Even though it wasn't snowing today, the impact of the dragon hitting the ground, made snow fly all around the witches and wizards in close proximity. Jess was quick on her feet and bounded toward the paralyzed dragon. She had never been this close to a Horntail before. She was frightening and beautiful all at the same time, her black scales a stark contrast against the white snow. 

   "I think she is in pain", she repeated her theory to Charlie who gracefully landed on his two feet close to the dragon's head. "It might be something wrong with her mouth - she didn't eat almost anything yesterday", Jess said and gave her neck a gentle pat, trying to calm herself down since the whole thing had caused her adrenaline levels to spike.

Charlie nodded. "Yes, I believe that was the sound of a dragon in pain", he confirmed with her. He did have a lot more experience with dragons than her so he should know. A few other dragon handlers got up to them. 

   "Are you alright, Jess?" Rikin squeezed her shoulder as he kneeled by her side. "Yes, she's not though", she nodded toward the dragon. 

   "What's wrong?" He asked. 

Charlie was examining the sharp teeth, carefully, looking up at the dragon every so often in case the stunning spell wore off unexpectedly. "There's a stone lodged into her gums", Charlie came to the conclusion.