-10-

A WEEK HAD PASSED SINCE THE 'INCIDENT'

A WEEK HAD PASSED SINCE THE 'INCIDENT'. The incident where Jess realised that Charlie had some sort of romantic feelings toward her. Rikin had laughed some more when she admitted that she had seen something in the way Charlie looked at her. 

   "I told you so", had slipped passed his lips accompanied by a smug look. Shortly after he asked her what she was going to do about it. She hoped he would have an answer because all she could think was "I don't know". 

The following days she acted in a professional manner toward the older man when they happened to be assigned the same shift and enclosure. He was also acting very professional so their relationship was the same as before around the dragons.

Outside the enclosures though, Jess tried to avoid having a conversation with Charlie if they happened to be in close proximity to each other. She really didn't want to lead him on in any way. She wasn't cruel like that. Rikin had just shaken his head at her when no one was looking. "You can't avoid him forever", he would say. Every time Jess would respond with; "watch me". 

Then Rikin said goodbye to the Sanctuary. It was time for him to start a new adventure with the Scamander family and other aspiring magizoologists. Jess forced him to promise that he would write once in a while. Rikin smirked and said that he would give her all the details. All of them. That made Jess scrunch up her nose, but smile nonetheless. She was going to miss her best friend.

She was happy for him, but it would be very strange to not have him close by after so many years together. She hugged him tightly on the apparition point almost until his portkey went off. "He's a great man, Jess - give him a chance", was his last words to her before a last, teary-eyed, 'I love you'".

Jess signed a contract with the Sanctuary a day later alongside her roommate Rosemary. They were both official members of the workforce now, official dragon handlers. A party at the local bar was arranged for the newest, official, members of the team and suddenly Jess couldn't avoid Charlie any longer. 

 She was talking with Dan and Amelia at one of the tables when Charlie came over along with Amareé. For some reason, a flutter of nerves went through her as she saw the redhead approach them. Charlie had a drink in his hand and Amareé was holding a very big camera in his. Jess had seen the camera before. Amareé was in charge of documenting information about all the dragons living at the Sanctuary and that camera was used to take photos to go with the information. 

Tonight he wasn't taking photos of dragons though, rather dragon handlers. 

A flash went off from said camera, catching Jess off guard and blinding her momentarily.