twenty five [becky]

"Oh my God!" Mohammad's excitement made them all look up, a sudden cheer rising from his throat. "Did you see that? A perfect strike! That's amazing, finally! Yes fam!"

His grin sunk as he looked around the large group of friends and realised not one person had seen his amazing strike. Some were cuddling and kissing, too loved up to notice, and others had their faces in the phones, mindlessly scrolling. And Becky... well, she had her head in the clouds, too consumed by her thoughts to have seen Mohammad's proudest moment. "Fuck you guys," he grumbled as a giggle followed the group, pink and blue lights shining down on them. "I hate you all." 

Kalila had the grace to look ashamed. "Sorry," she mumbled, her lips red from where Alex, had been biting them. She was the newest member of the group, her boyfriend Alex being Hannah's cousin.

Hannah's other cousin - the loud-mouthed, annoyingly hot - Cameron only laughed out loud. "Tough luck, bro."

Mohammad, rather childishly, stuck his tongue out in response. But he was too good-natured to hold a grudge and so, only settled himself back down beside Becky as it was Tyler's turn next. She could feel the warmth from his thigh pressing up against hers, his curls bouncing every time he got up and sat back down.

Exams were over, school had ended and summer had finally decided to grace England. And so, the large group of friends had all decided to meet up for a game of bowling, some arcade games that none of them were any good at as well as a mooch around the shops before finally getting something to eat. Sounded like a perfect plan for a bunch of almost twenty year olds who had nothing better to do!

Mohammad had ended up planning it, inviting Becky and Hannah, his two closest friends from school. And where Hannah went, so did her boyfriend Rayne, and cousins Cameron and Alex. Cam had dragged along his boyfriend Tyler and Alex had done the same with his girlfriend, Kalila, who was also Hannah's neighbour. All in all, it was a large, mixed up group of couples.

Except Becky and Mohammad.

The thought made her squirm a little, cheeks tinting red beneath the bright flashing lights. All their friends were pretty loved up - some more obviously than others - and knowing that she would never feel the same with the boy in sat beside her was a bit... well, sad to be honest. But it was for the best.

"Can't have everything in life," she mumbled to herself, getting up with a stretch as her name flashed on the screen.

Becky was pretty good at bowling, unlike most of her friends. Her mind was still distracted as she bent down and swung, a round blur of orange hitting the pins with a resounding crash. She didn't even wait to see the score, slumping back down in her seat as Hannah got up, giggling out loud.

A few days ago - the night Becky had burst into uncontrollable sobs onto her bedroom floor, a tsunami of emotion pouring out - Mohammad had proposed the idea that they could pretend nothing had happened and go back to normal. In theory it was perfect, their friendship too precious to lose over something neither of them were sure about. But in practice... well, she didn't know if she had the strength to act as though it had meant nothing. Because whilst Becky was still so embarrassed she had forced herself on him, she knew she had meant the feeling behind them. She had wanted it, and she wasn't sure what was more humiliating: her drunken behaviour or the fact that he clearly hadn't wanted her.

Fucking slut.

The words were echoing inside her, the words she'd had spat at her many a time from various people. But still, each time was a dagger tearing apart her soul, leaving her in splinters. But what choice did she have when it was true?

Their game of bowling passed by in a blur of outrageously bright colours and loud music they had to scream over, throats growing hoarse. Before long they were walking around the attached arcade, wasting pennies on games they knew they would never win.