Chapter 4: Fourth Night - Three Sides To The Story

At Commission of Counter Ghoul, or CCG for short, things had been rather quiet as of late. Normally, you would see people working their butts off late into the night, men in suits walking out of the building either with a sidearm or a silver attaché case at their side. However, it was a quiet night for once, little to no phone calls made, and the only people walking out of the front entrance were just average workers.

Quiet nights like these were the ones that Amon enjoyed, especially ever since his encounter with the One-Eyed Centipede, or Eyepatch as he had been called in the past. His aftermath with the Ghoul named Tataya wasn't anything to sneeze at either, having escaped with a missing arm, but even that was being replaced. What used to be a stump was an off-colored limb with stitches running all over the skin, not like Suzuya's strange fashion. According to Akira, it was something of a project her father, his old partner, had begun in the past, but never got around to finishing it.

At the very least, his daughter wasn't as crazy about Quinqies as the man himself was.

"Amon-san." Said investigator looked to his left to see Akira Mado standing there, holding two steaming cups of coffee. "Didn't I tell you not to overwork your arm?" she said in her usual stern and crass tone. While Mado himself had not been very strict, a bit aloof and screwed up in the head, Akira was more versed into protocol, being one of those 'by the book' people.

The man smiled sheepishly as he used his actual flesh and blood arm to take hold of the cup and retracting, leaning slightly more to the left in his seat. Because he had only gotten adjusted to this arm a few weeks ago, he couldn't put too much stress on it, otherwise it would hurt like a bitch later. Once he took a sip of his coffee, he exhaled and leaned back further. "That's nice..."

Akira giggled, taking a seat next to him. "Well, I would certainly hope so. Suzuya may not look like it, but he's actually pretty good at making something as simple as espresso." Amon's eyes widened at that particular bit of information. That weirdo could actually brew coffee? When will the surprises ever end. "Say, Amon-san, has there been any Ghoul activity recently since..." Akira shifted in her seat uncomfortably. "You know..."

Amon knew what she was referring to. The last CCG raid that had taken place last year was probably a massive slaughter, but if any had suffered casualties that day, it had been Commission of Counter Ghoul. In truth, Amon still had no idea what transpired, but if the words and faces of the survivors were any indication, he was glad he had not been there. "No, other than a few small problems here and there." Amon said, shaking his head. "Any traces of the Ghoul movement in the 20th Ward and that other group have not been seen since then."

"Ah, I see..." Akira lowered her head, grasping her cup rather tightly. Amon understood why she felt that way. She didn't hate Ghouls, per say, but there had been one Ghoul that had truly earned her hatred. Amon knew him, in fact everyone in CCG knew of the Ghoul. It was considered to be the most dangerous, most terrifying Ghoul you would ever encounter.

The One-Eyed Owl, the only SSS Class Ghoul on record.

The One-Eyed Owl had killed Akira's mother, having covered for her comrades during an encounter with the monster, and then Akira lost her father to Rabbit, the Ukaku Ghoul with the bunny mask. Amon knew that, with the exception of Arima, no one in CCG stood a chance in hell against something as horrific and terrifying as that.

"Amon-san, may I ask something?" Amon looked up to see Akira slightly over her brief depression, but the signs were still there. "Whenever you encountered a Ghoul, you would always ask for its reasons for devouring humans. Sometimes, it seemed like you hesitated to kill some of them." Ah, so she noticed? He shouldn't have been so surprised; she was Mado's daughter. "Why is that?"