Chapter 11: Eleventh Night - Dove

"Project Quinx?" Amon frowned as he looked up from the documents in his hand.

Alongside Akira, he had been called into the Director's office to speak with Yoshitoki Wasshu, one of the most talented officers and highest ranking in the entire organization of CCG to discuss a certain project. There had been rumors flying around that CCG was planning on starting a new project of some sort, though what, Amon had no idea up until now.

Yoshitoki was a young man, well aged in his thirties, wearing a white suit, not unlike that of what Amon or anyone else wore, complete with a buttoned shirt underneath and a black tie. He had a thin goatee on his chin, along with a slight mustache on his upper lip, his black hair fair and swept to either side. Like a number of Investigators, he was also a member of the Wasshu family, a distinct clan of respected warriors, each powerful in their own right.

It was also common knowledge that it was the Wasshu family that established Commission of Counter Ghoul.

The man nodded, taking the documents back as Amon handed them to him. "Yes. As you are aware from the Ghoul, Haise Sasaki, along with a number of other Ghouls we have encountered in the past year, our former coroner, Akihiko Kanou, has begun creating artificial One-Eyed Ghouls by implanting a Kakuho into ordinary humans." Yoshitoki reminded them, leaning back in his chair. "And as you are also aware, it is a Kakuho that also what allows us to fight against the Ghouls with the use of Quinque."

"Yes, we are well aware of that." Akira nodded her head. "However, this project... Are you saying that we're to...?"

At this, Yoshitoki sighed tiredly, a hand rubbing his temple. "While I myself am against it, this comes directly from up top. We don't have much of a choice, and unfortunately, my hands are tied."

"Implanting Quinque's into our own people..." Amon scowled, fists clenching. "Forgive me for speaking out of turn, sir, but it sounds to me like we're making ourselves into Aogiri."

The man smiled, waving his hand. "And I couldn't agree more, Amon. However, as I said, this comes directly from the top brass." Then, his face hardened, his mouth becoming a thin line as he looked at the two Investigators. "And you two will be in charge of maintaining the Quinx Squad. We aren't fully aware of what may happen, thus we need precautions."

"Understood, sir." Akira agreed almost instantly. It was at times like these that Amon felt rather envious of the woman. She could follow orders, believing in the orders her job demanded rather than believing in a sense of right and wrong, like he used to believe. Now, however, he wanted to know if it was possible for Ghouls and Humans to co-exist.

It was rather funny how he came to think like that, considering the one who made him adopt this mindset was a Ghoul, or rather, a half-Ghoul.

"Well then..." Yoshitoki cleared his throat, and tossed four small files atop the desk, each showing a different picture, containing information for each subject. The first showed a young boy with shark-like teeth, grinning from ear to ear as he lifted up his middle finger, flipping off the cameraman. His hair was unkempt and blonde, and his eyes bearing slits. The second showed a more composed young man with short black hair, his face passive, but ambition bright in his eyes. The third had a girl with blue hair done in pigtails, a lazy look on her face as she sucked on a lollipop. The fourth and final had a girl with greenish blue hair and tan skin, looking rather nervous.

"These will be the members of the Quinx Squad." Yoshitoki informed them, tapping a hand to each picture. He tapped the file showing the blonde shark. "Shirazu. He's young and brash, but he's tenacious, and never gives up in a fight. An admirable trait. He was implanted with an Ukaku Quinque." The next was the composed boy. "Urie. He's very ambitious, aiming for Special Class Investigator. He hopes to surpass Arima-kun one day. He was implanted with a Koukaku Quinque." He tapped to the girl with pigtails. "Saiko. Don't let her aloof and lazy nature fool you, she's by far one of the most promising candidates. She scored as one of the six with the highest proficiency. She was implanted with a Rinkaku Quinque." The final one was the girl. "Mutsuki. She's a tad bit shy, but given the correct incentive and training, she will certainly be a force to be reckoned with. Strangely, she wishes to be treated as a male rather than a girl. She was implanted with a Bikaku Quinque."