7 - Trust Issues

Elizabeth had ordered masks for the three of them, and the day before the party, they all arrived. The joys of online shopping meant she could do everything from the apartment without breaching her house arrest, however, one of the items on her list required a short shopping trip. She wasn't too sure how the men would react to her little request but she would ask them all in due time.

"Right then boys, masks are here." Elizabeth smiled, flashing the set of masks to the army doctor and detective who were sat in their chairs, "Which mask do you want?"

John looked up to the three that she held, as did Sherlock. One of them was green with silver swirls, another was black and clashed with white and the last one was black and red. The two men really seemed to contemplate which one to go for before finally answering.

"I'll go for the red and black." John answered.

"Then I shall go for the black and white." Sherlock then nodded, "Are you going for the green?"

She smiled, "No, I've got a different mask."

Placing their two masks on the coffee table beside Sherlock's chair, she walked back to the kitchen to retrieve the final mask from the box that had been delivered. The mask itself was a deep red, accompanied by gold edges and patterns, along with a jewel in the centre of the forehead, and a stunning red flower at the side. When Elizabeth saw it online, she couldn't help but buy it. She had the money so it wasn't like that was a worry. She showed it off to the two with an adoring look towards the item.

"Stunning, isn't it?"

"Hold on, why do we get plain, cheap looking ones while you get a more expensive looking one?" John frowned thoughtfully.

"Because you two didn't participate in picking out what you wanted and they were pricy enough."

"I doubt the money matters much to you anyway." Sherlock mumbled.

"I still save. Plus, now that I'm not stealing anymore, I'm going to need to aren't I? Considering I'm not getting paid to do this either."

"No, instead you're getting a clean slate." He smiled.

"Well, thank you, but my money won't last forever." Elizabeth replied, walking back to Sherlock's room.

"She's rich though, isn't she?" John whispered to Sherlock.

The detective nodded. She was just being tight with her money but who could really blame her? She had no idea what the future held for her. If she wanted some stability, the least she could ensure for herself was her financial stability.

"I estimate around six figures."

Elizabeth wandered back in without the mask now and with a somewhat 'trying to be innocent' air about her. The detective took one look and he already knew what she was going to say, kind of like how a parent would know that their child was going to ask for something.

"What do you want?"

The thief smiled sweetly, "Well, you see, I don't have a dress - "

"Buy one online."

"It won't come in time."

"What about next day delivery?" John asked.

She glared at him, "You don't understand the struggle for women when shopping online, do you?"

The two men glanced to each other briefly as she continued.

"There is no universal size that all shops have, including online ones. I could buy ten size fourteen tops from different places and I gurantee you they would all be different sizes. Shopping online is even worse, because you don't get to try on the item before you buy it." She took a breath to calm herself from her mini rant, "I need to go out and buy my dress. I know where from, but last time I checked, I couldn't leave without one of you escorting me."