Chapter 22

Tyler and Ethan pulled out of the driveway and started there car ride to the mall. They were half way there when  Ethan decides to break the awkward silence by pulling out even more awkward conversation, "So how did you and Mark meet?"
The dead silence became unbearably tense, " I mean you don't have to tell me if you don't want. I'm not tryna pressure you into talking about your life, ya know? It's just I was-"
Ethan was cut off by Tyler's hand over his mouth," Damn kid just chill out and let me get a word in."
"Sorry," Ethan said sheepishly.
"I mean, I don't know it just kind of happened. One day I was the mean new kid with no friends and the next I had them guys by my side." Tyler said with a hint of joy in his voice.
"What do you mean by the mean kid? Were people always afraid of you?" Ethan asked.
"Yeah I guess, it's just something about my face that angers people? So even on my first day kids were trying to pick fights with me; So when I would win them I'd be blamed for starting them." Tyler explained.
"Wow, that's bullshit."
"Yeah but then Mark and them started sticking up for me and one thing led to another. So now I stick up for them the best I can."
"Yeah I can see that, but... I don't know... Mark is just so mean." Ethan said quietly.
"See I wouldn't call them mean, there just more.. How do I put it? Protective of themselves and are friend group." Tyler said, "there really great guys when you get to know them, and there crazy loyal."
"Yeah."
The rest of the car ride was filled with comfortable silence until we reached the mall.