Chapter One

FRIENDSHIPS:
BUILT, REVIVED, AND EVOLVED

(A How To Train Your Dragon Fanfiction)

By: Astrid Camicazi N. Hofferson

Summary: Harper "Hiccup" Haddock is ditched by his best friend, Astrid Hofferson for fame and reputation. Can one event revive their friendship and make it even more? (MODERN AU!)

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON.

A/N: English isn't my first language so please bear with me. Constructive criticisms are pretty much appreciated.

- HTTYD-

I

A FATEFUL REUNION

HARPER

THE MORNING SUN bathed the small town of Berk, signaling the start of another school day. Hiccup, or Harper as he was known by his real name, rubbed the sleep from his eyes and glanced at the clock. It was seven-thirty, just thirty minutes before the school bell would ring. In a rush, he hurriedly took a bath and fixed himself up, skipping breakfast to save time. Grabbing an energy bar, he dashed off to school.

Inside Berk High, Hiccup felt a familiar heaviness in his heart. It had been five years since Astrid, his once closest friend, had abandoned him for popularity. The pain of that loss still lingered, and life had become more challenging ever since. Bullies, led by Astrid's new friends Shaun (Snotlout), Riley (Ruffnut), and Tyler (Tuffnut), taunted him relentlessly. Despite now being a Junior, the torment hadn't ceased.

His homeroom was no exception to the cruelty. "Hey there, Hiccup the Useless!" Shaun, better known as Snotlout, taunted emphasizing the cruel nickname as he and his friends, Riley and Tyler, surrounded Hiccup in the school hallway.

Hiccup tried his best to brush off the bullying, focusing on the task at hand. "What do you want, Shaun?" he replied, his voice betraying a hint of irritation.

Snotlout smirked, "It's Snotlout for you, and nothing. I just want to make fun of you."

Tuffnut, who was standing beside Snotlout, chimed in, "Shut up, Tuff! He already looks funny because he's ugly and he's like a scarecrow."

Hiccup felt the weight of Astrid's absence. She used to be the one to stand up for him, but now she seemed to have joined their ranks. "Leave him alone, Tuffnut," he heard her voice echoing in his mind, but it offered little consolation. Hiccup knew he was on his own, and they knew it too.

When the final bell rang, Hiccup made his way home, shoulders slumped and heart heavy with the weight of the day's torment. As he stepped through the front door, his father greeted him with a warm smile, oblivious to the struggles his son faced at school.

"Hi there, Hiccup! How was school?" Stoick asked, genuinely interested.

Hiccup forced a smile, masking the pain he carried inside. "It's great, Dad. School's great."

"Glad to hear that, son," Stoick replied, ruffling Hiccup's hair affectionately.

"Okay, Dad. If you don't mind, I'm going to my room to change," Hiccup said, needing a moment of solitude.

Stoick nodded, not suspecting a thing. "Sure, take your time."

In the privacy of his room, Hiccup removed his long-sleeved shirt, revealing the painful bruises that marred his skin-a painful reminder of the relentless bullying he endured daily. His lanky, skinny frame had always made him an easy target for his tormentors.

Hiccup sighed, wishing he could find the strength to stand up to them or the courage to confide in his father about the truth. But fear and shame held him back, keeping his struggles hidden behind closed doors.

As the evening wore on, Hiccup did his best to keep his pain hidden, burying it beneath a facade of sarcasm and self-deprecating humor. He knew that someday, somehow, his life had to change. He yearned for the day when he wouldn't be known as "Hiccup the Useless" but as someone worthy of respect and understanding.

But for now, he kept his battles concealed, hoping for a better tomorrow.

oOo

ASTRID

MEANWHILE, IN ASTRID'S WORLD, life seemed to be falling apart. Summoned to the principal's office, she had no idea what awaited her.

"Good morning, sir. What is it that you have summoned me here for?" Astrid inquired.

"It's about your position in the varsity," Principal Sven began, "I'm sorry, but we have to remove you temporarily."

"What?! No! Please don't. I'm doing everything," Astrid pleaded, her heart sinking.

Her grades had slipped, and she no longer met the required standards. She had to be temporarily removed from the team unless she could improve her grades with the help of a tutor.

"But..." Astrid protested, feeling the weight of disappointment.

"No buts," Principal Sven firmly asserted. "The school will provide you a student tutor of your grade that will help you in your subject."

"Okay, sir. But who will be my tutor for the subject?"

"Harper Horrendous Haddock."

Astrid's heart sank even further at the mention of Hiccup's name. "What?! No! Anyone except him."

"No, Miss Hofferson. That's final. Harper will be your tutor starting from tomorrow."

As Astrid left the principal's office, she couldn't shake the uneasy feeling that she would have to face Hiccup again after five long years. The thought of dealing with him brought a mix of emotions and memories to the surface.

oOo

HARPER

THE FOLLOWING DAY at school, Principal Sven informed Hiccup about his tutoring duty with Astrid. Hiccup had initially refused, but the principal persuaded him, reminding him of his excellent grades in physics. Reluctantly, he accepted his "tutor thing" responsibility.

As the afternoon turned to evening, the library became the designated meeting place for the tutoring session. Hiccup arrived at five o'clock, a mixture of anxiety and anticipation brewing within him. He hoped that this encounter with Astrid would go smoothly.

oOo

ASTRID

AS THE CLOCK struck five, Astrid arrived at the library, waiting for Hiccup. Nervousness and regret churned inside her. She searched for a book to distract herself, but in her distracted state, she bumped into someone...

-HTTYD-

Originally Published: March 5, 2019

Wattpad Publishing Date: April 22, 2019

Updated: February 20, 2024