Chapter Fifteen

FRIENDSHIPS:

BUILT, REVIVED, AND EVOLVED

(A How To Train Your Dragon Fanfiction)

By: Astrid Camicazi N. Hofferson

Summary: Harper "Hiccup" Haddock is ditched by his best friend, Astrid Hofferson for fame and reputation. Can one event revive their friendship and make it even more? (MODERN AU!)

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON.

A/N: English isn't my first language so please bear with me. Constructive criticisms are pretty much appreciated.

- HTTYD-

XV

HAPPINESS

WHILE SHAUN WAS feeling very miserable with his new social status and appeared to be learning from all his mistakes, Harper, on the other hand, seemed more likely to adjust to his new social status. Although he felt very uncomfortable at first, he managed to cope with the help of his friends, who stood by him through it all. Despite the newfound attention from others, Harper managed to maintain a semblance of a normal life. The influx of opportunities came like a plague, but he embraced them, using his enhanced physical strength from training to excel in athletic activities. The varsity teams were eager to have him, even under the condition that he masked his face during games. Harper cherished the newfound friends, fame, and opportunities that had come his way.

oOo

HARPER

IT WAS JUST an ordinary day for Harper as he went about his morning routine. After finishing his breakfast, bidding goodbye to his father, and getting ready, he set out to pick up Astrid, his close friend, so they could walk to school together. To his surprise, as they strolled through the school hallways toward their lockers, they were met with enthusiastic greetings. The familiar calls of "Hi Harper!", "Morning hottie", and "Sup dude!" filled the air, and he reciprocated each with a warm smile. Harper couldn't help but think back to what had happened a few weeks ago, nearly eight weeks or almost two months ago to be precise. Although some time had passed, he still hadn't quite grown accustomed to the newfound attention.

Once Astrid and Harper reached their adjacent lockers, they bid each other farewell and went to their separate classrooms. As breaktime approached, their group of friends gathered in the cafeteria as they always did. They found their usual spot by the wall, although, given their popularity, some might argue they belonged at the center, among the "famous" kids. But they knew they were different from that crowd, and they preferred it that way. As they shared laughter and conversation while savoring their meals, a troubling sight caught their attention: Snotlout, one of their classmates, was being bullied by Thuggory, Eret, and Dogsbreath.

Astrid sneered, "Serves him right."

"Yeah, he totally deserves it," Fishlegs added.

Harper hesitated for a moment before speaking up, "Guys, isn't this too much for him? We shouldn't just stand by and do nothing. I think we should help him. I know you might oppose this idea, but we all understand how it feels to be belittled. Despite how he may have treated us in the past, doing the right thing means lending him a hand."

Agreeing with Harper, his friends nodded. He stood up and made his way over to where the four were standing. Thuggory had Snotlout by the collar, while Eret and Dogsbreath stood behind him, looking menacing.

"Thuggory," Harper called out, emphasizing his name.

"Oh, it's you, Harper, my friend. What brings you here? You want to watch how this loser gets beaten up, don't you?" Thuggory taunted, facing Harper.

"No. I want you to leave Snotlout alone."

"Fine. You're lucky, Snotty. If H didn't show up, I'd have beaten you up until you were broken," Thuggory sneered at Snotlout before turning back to Harper with a smile. "See you later at training." Thuggory and the others then walked away.

Harper helped Snotlout to his feet and asked sincerely, "Are you okay?"

"I'M FINE. WHY ARE YOU HELPING ME?! I DO NOT NEED YOUR HELP! AND DO NOT GIVE ME YOUR PITY BECAUSE I DO NOT NEED IT!" Snotlout responded angrily before storming off.

Returning to the table, Harper resumed eating his food while his friends shared their thoughts on the situation.

"Geez, he's so tense," Tuff remarked.

"And so ungrateful," Ruffnut added.

"Just give him some time and try to understand where he's coming from," Harper suggested.

As the day went on, classes resumed and Harper's day turned out to be quite enjoyable. He received praise from his peers for his skills during training, and later, he headed to work where he spent the rest of his time.

A few days passed, and Harper decided to invite Astrid to his house to have a conversation about something he had been wanting to tell her, but had been interrupted by Ruffnut last time. She arrived at his house around 2 pm, and after welcoming her, he offered her a seat on the couch and some refreshments.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about, Harper? You wouldn't have called me here without a reason," Astrid said, gazing into his eyes.

Harper took a deep breath, feeling nervous, and began, "Remember a few months ago when we went on that outing, and I was about to tell you something before Ruff came in? Well, that's what I want to talk about."

Astrid looked intrigued and asked, "What is it?"

With a mix of anxiety and sincerity, Harper confessed, "Astrid, I like you. No, I love you. I've felt this way for a few years now, and I want you to be my girlfriend, and if you'd have me, my prom date. I didn't tell you this earlier because I lacked the confidence, and I was afraid it might ruin our friendship."

Astrid seemed taken aback for a moment before she softly responded, "I honestly don't have the words."

Harper, rubbing the back of his neck, said, "Alright, I understand if you don't feel the same way..."

"No! I want to. I would love to. I love you too. It's just that I was too shy to confess," Astrid admitted, her voice gentle and sincere.

"Really? So, does that mean you're now my girlfriend, and I'm your boyfriend?" Harper asked, his disbelief turning into joy.

"Yes, it does," Astrid teased, smiling at him.

Overwhelmed with happiness, they embraced and shared their first kiss. Harper couldn't ask for more than this moment. He wished for it never to end, and in that instant, all he felt was pure bliss. The unexpected turn of events had brought them even closer, and they knew that this newfound love was something worth cherishing.

-HTTYD-

Originally Published: March 5, 2019
Wattpad Publishing Date: April 22, 2019
Updated: February 20, 2024