Serenity: Chosen to be Mother Nature

Chapter 1

Serenity (5 years later)

I watched with cautious eyes as my prey was just a few miles away from me. My body was covered in mud hiding my scent from not only werewolves but from other creatures as well. The moonlight shined from above me, letting me calculate the distance of how far my target was.

Raising my bow and arrow, aiming at my target, I accurately shot it. The arrow was just where I wanted it to be, between the neck and shoulder, it was usually a weakness for all animals. The poor creature, landed on the ground, twitching. It's dark eyes were wide with panic, so I knelt slowly to the deer saying a prayer with closed eyes, grabbing my dagger and pierced it through its neck, stopping the painful cries.

That was how I was raised. I was raised to learn to love the forest, the creatures and the peacefulness that was filled in it every single time. Every time I kill a creature for my own survival, I pray, thanking it with respect. It might be weird but that was one of the things that make me who I am. I learned to be more appreciative about my surroundings.

My whole entire life was surrounded by a forest, I knew where most wolf pack territories were and where rogue packs were located as if it were the back of my hand. I was a walking GPS, and my father loved that about me.

I was in the Shadow Moon Pack Territory. Everyday and every night, I traveled for nine years and have experienced a lot during those years. I slept in trees being covered in mud, covering up the tracks of my footsteps, animal blood from my hunt and ashes. It has almost been a few weeks when I came to this territory and within the next days, I will be in my godfather's territory.

I got back to the place I usually set up a fireplace and started to skin the deer. It was like my everyday thing to wake up, find breakfast, and travel on foot. Basically, I scout the perimeter first, then go on the hunt. For breakfast and lunch, I would mainly eat many herbs, berries and wild onions, just so that I could get my energy going. As for dinner, I eat either a rabbit or deer, and save the rest for the next day.

I remembered the first time I was out hunting with my father, my godfather – his best friend, and his sons that were twins, Lucian and Luther who were the same age as me, five years old, at the time. I had found a huge white mountain lion that stared intensely at me as if it were gonna attack me, so I was quick to out run it. It had cornered me, leaving me no chance but to close my eyes waiting for me to end, though nothing happened.

As I opened my eyes, it had become closer than usual and sniffed my hair. Its head was bent down as if it were giving me permission to pet it. I ran my hands through its fur, as it was purring in approval. My father and everyone that we came with, found me not until the mountain lion growled and stood in front of me, protectively. I then petted it telling it they were family.

From that day on, I have never seen that mountain lion again, although my father told me of a legend of Mother Nature, telling me that I was chosen to become Mother Nature... I was bound to fall in love with the wilderness and the creatures no matter how wild they could be.

Distant voices were heard that brought me out of my thoughts, as a hunter, you must have a good sense of hearing and sight in order to get your prey. Quickly but quietly, I managed to put out my fire and climb the tree as I ate my roasted meat. I finished it before the voices were closer, listening to the conversation,

"Daddy, do you really believe in that story that Nana had told us?" A soft, gentle voice asked. It was clear that it was a little girl.

"You mean the story about a girl chosen to be Mother Nature?" A male voice asked and the little girl nodded.