Nine|| The White Walls

"Newbieee?"

Bobble turned her attention to the entrance of her room. A cyan Inkling boy around the same age as her was leaning against the door frame. "Uh, yeah," she said, cautiously sitting down on her bed. "The nurse told me to grab you for luuunch," he informed. "Well, tell them I'm not hungry," she said stubbornly. "That's not gonna work, they'll just shove the food down your throooaat," he mumbled. She groaned. "Yeah, yeah. I'm comin'," she muttered. The blue Inkling stood from the bed and adjusted her hat, and smoothed out the wrinkles from her hospital gown. She closed the door behind her.

"The name's Maaask," the boy introduced. "I'm Bobble. Why is your name Mask..?" she began. "They took away my maaask. They decided the straps could be a way of strangling myseeelf," he said. His voice was raspy from lack of sleep. "Oh! I remember you, you're from the S4. You looked a lot better with your mask on," she bluntly stated before walking away to lunch. She motioned to put her hands in her pocket, but realized she did not have her hoodie on. The nurse took it after she refused to take the drawstrings out. Mask looked at a nearby mirror and sighed. "Not wrooong."

Bobble grabbed a lunch plate. It was disgusting. "Do I really have to eat?" she asked herself as she sat down at an empty table. Mask sat across from her with a banana in his hand and some graham crackers. "Hey, how did you get those?" she asked. "Right over theeeere. There's a few drinks in the refrigeratooooor. They don't really allow newbies to use the microwavess, but if you want I could possibly whip something edible up for yoouuu," he offered. "No, it's okay. I just want a snack." she said, throwing the lunch plate into the trash behind her. Mask nodded and stood walking to the refrigerator. This place sucks. Bobble glared at the white walls of the dining room. That's all she saw now.

Just. White. Walls.

Mask came back, giving her a few packets of graham crackers, a banana, and string cheese. "This is the only edible thing there is in this damned plaaace," he mumbled. "Why are you here?" Bobble asked, tilting her head. "The same reason you're heeere," he pointed at her, then another random Inkling talking to himself, "The same reason he's heeere," he looked around. "The same reason everyone is heeere." Mask showed her his wrists, which were lined with deep scars leading all the way up to a little below his elbow. Bobble frowned. "Everyone?" Mask nodded, pulling away his arms and taking a bite out of his graham cracker. "I don't see any scars on yooouu though. What'd you dooo?"

Bobble sighed sadly at the thought. "You know Goggles right?" Mask nodded, "How could I not." Bobble gripped at the hem of her hospital gown. "I put his Splattershot to my head and told him if he didn't pull the trigger, l was gonna do it. I feel bad, I probably traumatized him," she stated with a blank stare. "Happens to the best of uuuss." Bobble looked up at Mask. "How many times have you come here?" He shrugged. "I think it's my foouurrth. I was brought in just yesterday though," he said, finishing up his graham cracker. "So, what made you do that?Bobble looked away. "Too much assassinations get to you at some point."

They ate in silence from then on. A nurse walked in and informed Bobble she had a visitor. "Already?" She finished up her string cheese and slid the banana to Mask, with a smile. "You can have it." She left the dining room and found her way to the room she was staying in. Thankfully, the hospital had enough rooms for everyone so she didn't have a roommate. When she entered the room, N-Pacer was sitting on a foldable chair with a bouquet of daisies in her hand. "Hey, Bobble."

The blue Inkling sat on her bed with a confused look. "How did you..?" N-Pacer smiled softly. "Aloha has a big mouth," she said. "You didn't have to come, you know." Despite the words she said, Bobble couldn't help but smile as the taller girl put the daisies on the bedside table. "Listen, I'm sorry for being rude to you. But I'm glad your getting help," she said, sitting next to the blue Inkling on her bed. "What's been going on?" Bobble asked. "Well, uh... Eging died two nights ago. Pearl killed him right in front of her brothers' eyes. It was harsh but uh, it happened. Emperor's still in shock. He doesn't know how to react, it was Eging after all. He..." N-Pacer choked on her words, "He died so suddenly, and I didn't get to say goodbye. He was my best friend."

Bobble put her hand on the taller girl's shoulder. "I'm sorry," she said genuinely. N-Pacer shook her head, wiping the tears from her eyes and smiling. "Enough about me. Why not you explain how you ended up here? If you're comfortable, of course." The blue Inkling let out a small chuckle. "I figured Aloha would've told you that by now," she said. The yellow Inkling shook her head. "No, he wanted to keep everyone in suspense," she said.

"Well uh, what happened was... Goggles ran away for a few days and I was really worried, of course. Headphones and Specs just kept arguing about it, it got really tiring so I yelled at them. When I went into my room, Goggles came climbing in. He had his Splattershot in his hand and I told him to kill me. I dunno what would have happened if Headphones and Specs didn't come in though."

N-Pacer gave Bobble a soft smile. "You know, you're kinda cute when you aren't keeping that sick act up," she said. The blue Inkling giggled. "You think I'm cute when I'm sad?" The tall Inkling chuckled. "You know what I mean. It's different seeing you so... calm." Bobble gave a small nod. "It's weird, not having to act all the time." N-Pacer sighed, "Headphones is here too, but it's one visitor at a time. She brought you food." Bobble smiled. "I guess I'll see you later?" N-Pacer said, getting up. "Yeah, thank you for the flowers."

"Geez, no straws?" Headphones grumbled, handing Bobble a smoothie. "Yeah, they have weird rules here. It's a good thing you didn't get me coffee because I heard there's a no caffeine rule too." Bobble giggled, taking a sip from her straw-less cup. "How is it here? I know it hasn't been long but is it too bad?" Headphones questioned. "It's alright, I made a 'friend' already. I guess they're gonna give me pills soon, but I don't mind." Bobble fiddled with the pompom on her hat. "I hope you don't stay too long but, I'm glad you're here. I- I don't like seeing you fake happy." Bobble smiled, "It's nice to know you care."

She looked at her hands. "It's nice to know people still care about death."